News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Need some help. Rigging to factory standard main sheet.

Started by PJ, February 02, 2019, 03:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ

The previous owner removed the standard mainsheet setup and installed a traveler in the already weakly mounted boom gallows. I don't think the vertical supports for the gallows can withstand the pressures of the main sail.  Especially on an unplanned gybe (does that even happen????)  I have all the original hardware but need either a graphic or pictures of how the dual end mainsheet line runs through the various blocks.
s/v Good Tidings

Andre

I agree, I would never use the boom gallows to handle the sheet loads.  I own a PC and an HC (identical gallows) and the only thing I use them for other than the intended purpose is in CAREFUL boarding from the swim ladder.

My HC is currently in winter storage 30 miles from home.  I looked and don't have sufficiently detailed photos to send you.  If your need is not immediate, I can take some photos in a couple of weeks next time I visit my boat.  If no one else chimes in, contact Hutchins - they will help you out, I'm sure.

Andre

PJ

Thanks Andre, I need to modify before my April 3, Spring break sail in Florida.  Since the original hardware is still mounted, and I have the two blocks, should only take a few minutes to modify back to original.  Let's  see if anyone else chimes in.  Thanks again.
s/v Good Tidings

rbh1515

2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Andre

PJ,

I did go out to check on my boats today and took some detailed high res pictures of the HC mainsheet.  It was under a tarp with some extraneous lines around, but if you (or anyone else) needs photos of the mainsheet routing, I now have them.

Andre

Greg

I saw Sun Cat rigged with the traveler mounted on the aft deck just forward of the transom and the bail to the end of the boom. They said by extending the traveler to the full width of the boat they could get better downward tension on the boom over the quarter and windward performance improved quite a bit. It also gets the main sheet tackle off your head. So, before you throw the traveler away??
But I agree the gallows is not a good base.
SV Blue Sky, Catalina 34 MKII
SV Sun King, Beneteau First 285
SV In Balance, Catalina 25
SV Puppy, Catalina 22 (my, at the time, toddler son named it)