a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SunDay Cat mast leaks

Started by Bub, February 04, 2019, 09:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bub

I am a new owner of a 2012 SunDay Cat. Love it !! But I found about an inch of water in the anchor/battery compartment after a couple of weeks while it was stored, mast down. Figure it entered thru the open cavity of the mast which I simply had not thought about.

But now, it's in a lift, mast up and I am still getting some water in the same area after even a light shower. I assume some amount of water is moving down the sail track in the aft side of the mast, maybe?
Has anyone had the same experience? And how did you correct it.
Thanks!

Bub

Thank you VERY much. I'll try the rope caulk around the base on the cabin roof. Some of the comments also refer to caulking the mast stub. I assume they are closing the sail track from the base up to the resting point of the boom?

Also surprised that the factory said the anchor compartment was supposed to retain water and NOT drain into the bilge. REALLY??
Wouldn't it make sense to drill a hole on the forward vertical part of the anchor compartment with a PVC elbow to allow that water to drain directly into the bilge?

Zephyros

Quote from: Bub on February 05, 2019, 03:35:12 PM
Wouldn't it make sense to drill a hole on the forward vertical part of the anchor compartment with a PVC elbow to allow that water to drain directly into the bilge?

Great idea, may try that myself.

Quote from: Bub on February 05, 2019, 03:35:12 PM
I assume they are closing the sail track from the base up to the resting point of the boom?

I would just tuck the caulk inside the track where it meets the cabin top, that will keep the water from going inside. If you keep it outdoors, uncovered, then for the top of the mast stub, try a small plastic container or, some have had a canvas cap cover made, or maybe just buy a winch cover since they have elastic built in.

Bub

I should say that I have not been able to view the fore peak area to insure that water drained into it from the anchor locker will actually flow into the bilge, and not be blocked by a bulkhead.
If it's open to the bilge, why the heck did they design it with no drain?

Bub

Update on possibly draining the Anchor/Battery locker. DONT DO IT!!!
I tried to contort my body enough to see if a hole in the locker would actually drain into the Bilge. Never could see for sure so I wrote Hutchins to ask. Gerry wrote back and said I should NOT drill a drain hole, stating that water draining down from the Locker "would not make it to the Bilge".
Guess I'll just keep a sponge handy.

Roland of Macatawa

Bub,

Have you seen the posting by Com-Pac dealer Keith, of North Carolina Sailboats, in his 'WHATS NEW' blog about water leakage on a SunDayCat?
With the mast raised, water can run down the mast raising halyard through the fitting into the cuddy.

Check it out at: http://www.sailboatrichlands.com/
A very informative website.

I also sail a 2012 SunDayCat. Mine however is stored indoors and trailered and launched for each usage.

Regards, Roland

2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

Bub

Bub

Update. Rope Caulk did not adhere well to the base of the mast, probably user error on my part, but I went ahead and applied a bead of 5200 sealant at the mast/cabin roof joint. Then successfully ran rope caulk up the mast halyard track from the cabin roof to the bottom of the boom to stop at least part of the driven rain from entering. Much better but of course rain is still dribbling into the mast at the exposed upper mast section and still collecting in the battery box/anchor locker compartment. Anyone have any idea why Hutchins didn't design this to drain into the bilge where we can pump it out, instead of collecting there? Seems like it will cause mildew etc.

Zephyros

Glad you found a solution, good to hear you confirmed that rope caulk really does not work on the mast base, it must not have enough adhesion properties to it.

One note of caution to others seeking a solution to this common problem, 5200 sealant is a "PERMANENT" solution.

Permanent bonding – above and below the waterline
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-5200/?N=5002385+3293241623&rt=rud

When you want the ability to remove and redo the sealant in the future and have a sealant that is flexible, one that will better handle the movement of the mast, a better solution would be standard silicone caulk.

Bub

Update. We have had very heavy rains over the past month or so, and the fix I made is working very well. Battery box is bone dry. I imagine strong wind driven rain from the right direction might still find its way into the upper mast track, but I haven't seen it yet.

And when the 5200 needs re doing, I'll certainly switch to silicone. Thanks!!