a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Teak advice

Started by alsantini, February 15, 2019, 09:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Hello everyone.  Last year Off the Wind was completely neglected.  Cancer changed what I did and when.  Well, I am back at it.  I treated the teak with Semco and most of it looks great again (wash, and 2 coats) But the two flat pieces of teak on the top sides of the cockpit have very small dots (black) visible in the sunlight.  I figure they are specs of mold.  Semco seems to do a great job protecting the teak but I think has been overwhelmed by the sun and lack of re-coating.  What have you used to clean the teak and get rid of mold?  Boat US has at least 10 teak cleaning products??   Al (thanks in advance)

captronr

Al, great question as always.   My teak didn't get treated last summer, but thankfully not as result of cancer.  Just an inattentive owner who didn't get to sail in 2018......

I don't think mine has spots, but I'm unsure how to prep the teak.  When I got the boat, it was way overdue to have the teak treated.  I used a plain powerwasher at a low setting from a distance to clean the wood. 

Is plain dish soap (dawn) ok to use, or does it take a special product?

Thanks.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Salty19

Grab some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and lightly scrub the teak with soap to act as a lubricant.  Those spots will come right up without harsh cleaners--that will remove the wax as it runs down your hull!

Don't scrub too hard else the gloss will be rubbed out.  Or if you are going to recoat, you can still use the eraser to remove dirt with a little more elbow grease, then lightly sand just to put some bite into the next coat. 

These are GREAT for the deck and anti-slip areas.  I don't clean my boat without them.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

captronr

Thanks Salty!

I've used the magic erasers on the fiberglass before, and know they work well for that.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

I will give it a try especially since I have waxed the hull already.  Thanks.  I will report back if it eliminates the small black spots.  Al

cdflan

Depending on how bad it is, Semco has a Cleaner Kit which I had to use couple of years ago after period of neglect.  Works great.  Love the look and performance of Semco but needs recoating about every 3 or 4 months at least here in Florida.

alsantini

Nothing like the FL sun.  I usually coat in Nov when we arrive here and then once around end of Feb.  The Feb coat lasts usually all summer up north.  I will look into their cleaner kit.  Thanks.  Not sure your name but thanks.   Al

Tim Gardner

AL, meet Charlie. Charlie, Al. Glad to introduce yall
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.