a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tohatsu SailPro with a CP-19

Started by Andy Knoczek, February 19, 2019, 08:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Knoczek

I will try to make this brief, in Sept. 2016 I bought a brand new Tohatsu SailPro 6hp outboard (1 cyl with the extended length) for my CP-19 (1983). I put 10 mins on it to move from one marina to an adjoining marina. I then rinsed, cleaned and stored this outboard on an upright stand until January 2019, when I used it to move my CP-19 from the marina to my home dock 76 NM away from the marina.
Some stats for you:
AVG MPH = 5.3
Distance = (SM) 76
Time = 14.3 HRS
Fuel used = 3.75 gallons
*Never once in the whole 14+ hours did the motor shut of, or did I turn it off...
(That's right, 14.3 hours and less than 4 gallons used at about 1/5th throttle)
After arriving home, I hooked up the fresh water rinse line and flushed per the mfg spec. I dried the motor off and put back inside on the upright stand. After a couple days, I noticed a crust of salt crystals (yes I tasted it) where the lower unit and the upper housing bolt together. I then removed the prop and ran it in a bucket for 10 minutes. After a couple days, another ring of salt crystals formed... Any suggestions? I started here first... but I plan to also try to contact Tohatsu as well... just wondering if anyone else had this issue?
CP19 - 1983 hull #29

Vectordirector

Hi Andy,
Here is a wild guess:  Hard tap water typically has plenty of mineral content, including salt due to the use of chlorine which dries to salt when diluted in water. 

I'm no chemist but salt is literally "sodium chloride" and I believe it is a chemical reaction with the salt chemically bonding to the metal of the motor.  You need a solvent to break the bond, water isn't enough.   I hear that vinegar might work, never tried it.   

Happens to my Suzuki after I hose it down with "fresh" water too.  It fades away after time in the FL sun.   Ever wash your car and let it dry in the sun?  Water spots are the same minerals in the tap water. 

Small outboards are amazingly fuel efficient.  I only have 3 miles of motoring (about 15 minutes each way at 5 knots) until sails up so I burn very little fuel.  Less than a quart per day sailng. 

Vectordirector 
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Andy Knoczek

Thanks Vector, no these are LARGE salt crystals, like saltwater is in the chamber between the lower unit and the housing (I tried to post pics, from my google album... but some reason they do not show up). I am just wondering if saltwater is in there and slowly leaking out, as the water evaps, then the salt is left behind??
CP19 - 1983 hull #29