a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Owners Manual for 19XL

Started by AFM, January 20, 2019, 01:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFM

I just purchased a 1999, Hull #610, in like new condition.   Is there any available on-line guidance to
check that the running and standing rigging are assembled correctly??  The mast is off the boat for Winter
at this time.  Would the owner's manual carry that level of detail?

Also the hull is on it's trailer and I am working on what would be the easiest and safest way to bottom paint
in areas of bunk boards, etc.   Thoughts on this welcome.   At worst I could have the yard launch and
touch up while in the slings.....

Thanks,
Art         

Finbar Beagle

Definitely easiest is to have yard touch up when in slings.  I have lifted her up a few inches so I can pass roller, but it is a painful process.  I used multiple jacks, and this definitely helped.

The owners manual is not the most descriptive, but I found it useful, especially to break the ice in ordering other spare parts from Hutchins.  They are a great asset, as most other boat builders do not continue to make spare for boats they no longer produce, like our 19s.

Last year, I replace the bow pulpit.  Next year will be the year of the teak...although there is a lot to be said for old teak character..,
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Salty19

AFM-Welcome to the forum.  I own your boats slightly older sister, hull # 603.  She's a beauty---teal hull, Harken furler, stern rail seats, loose footed, fully battened main, 170% flying drifter, deluxe interior and a whole lot more.   I'll dig up a picture soon.

I don't have the manual, but rather had other boats as experience.  The rigging is not difficult, really the big thing is to put the main halyard on the right and jib halyard on the left side (of the masthead sheaves,  looking forward). This way the jib halyard will not cross over the mainsail when the jib halyard runs down and to the left of mast.  Then put the main halyard through the aft block and jib through forward. I assume you have the deck mounted, aft led halyards.   If you get those right at least you won't have to drop the mast. 

For the main, the halyard of course on the head of the sail, an outhaul on the clew and downhaul for the foot.   Once you tune the standing rigging, you can leave the 4 shrouds in place and unadjusted.  The backstay would be loosened first when lowering and tightened last when raising.   There is a small hole at the masthead for a 1/8" topping lift line.  Your bobstay will need adjusted once.   If your boat has been on the trailer a long time, DO NOT tighten the rigging too much when first launching.  The hull will have a tendency to move a bit and could unnecessarily over-tighten the rigging. 

The rudder should be pretty self explanatory.  Depending on how much use your boat had, you may need to do a little work on the bushings or rudder handle. 

If I can suggest spending your money---get the foiled rudder from ruddercraft.  You can either buy just the blade or a really cool new assembly that is so much easier to use--lifting/lower the blade and a pleasure to sail with.  Love mine and would do it again for sure.   Also a "Tiller Clutch" to self-steer with.  Not to be confused with other steering aids--these are bar far the best ones.  If the Admiral hasn't cut off the register yet, a 4:1 boom vang with snap shackles really helps performance and control.  Your boat may already have it. 

Are you going to be trailering or use a slip/mooring?  I ask because if you trailer you'll want SIMPLE to rig and will need a good system to quickly rig/derig.

lastly, where are you sailing?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tim Gardner

Salty,  Art (AFM) , I believe is from the Mystic CT area.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

AFM

Thanks for the welcome. I do sail out of the Mystic, Ct. area.  The boat will be on the river off of Noank.  Thanks for the comments below and Salty any and all thoughts are welcome.... saves me re-inventing the wheel.  The comments on rudder, tiller tender, etc may be aboard, I never got to sail the boat, ...weather and late in the season.  I am told there is a video of the boat sailing on Buzzard's bay.  Anyway when the cover comes off in the Spring, the fun begins. 
I am not sure if I will use the marina to launch the hull or try myself (myself means experienced friends with big pickups) using the club ramp.
Again Thx,  and glad to be aboard the C-PA.

Art,  Hull 610,

Bob23

Hello Art, and welcome. As the self appointed czar of membership fees, it's my pleasure to welcome you and to notify you that your account is in arrears. The $5000.00 initial membership fee has not been received. There are a few ways to pay: Cash, of course- in small unmarked bills left in the cockpit of my 23, or by agreeing to bottom paint all of the members boats for a period of 2 years. But wait: It's half price Friday- you are in luck, my friend!! Tell you what, I'm feeling really generous tonight so if you promise to buy the first round if we ever meet, I'll waive all fees! Plus I like Mystic Seaport. Had a nice opportunity to row my Guideboat there a few years back.
Welcome!
Bob23 and "Koinonia", a 1985 23/2 in Barnegat Bay, NJ

marc

Hello Art,
I sold that boat to Daniel about this time last year. I had kept the boat in Redbrook harbor off Buzzards Bay. I have the manual you are looking for. Check your messages to get my email address.
Marc