a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Horizons on the Cape and Islands

Started by Joe, January 16, 2019, 12:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I understand the Hutchins brothers are in Florida, but why the dearth of Horizons up in New England? Would love to hear more people's stories, for better or worse, about navigating Nantucket Sound, as well as Buzzards bay, and anchoring in spots like the Vineyard, Nantucket, Cuttyhunk, and the many other beautiful coves this boat allows us to access.   

Andre

I suspect it's because that area has many "real" catboats, built in the region - the Marshalls, Beetles, Arey's Ponds, etc.  in addition to classic wooden ones and some outliers like Mengers.  So I think it's a regional thing.

I bet Com-Pacs are to some extent regarded as "bastardized" cats without the barn-door rudders, unstayed masts, etc. and also having keels and conservative rigs.

I'm not being critical - I own a Picnic Cat and a Horizon Cat, ha, ha

Joe

Quote from: Andre on January 16, 2019, 03:09:40 PM
I suspect it's because that area has many "real" catboats, built in the region - the Marshalls, Beetles, Arey's Ponds, etc.  in addition to classic wooden ones and some outliers like Mengers.  So I think it's a regional thing.

I bet Com-Pacs are to some extent regarded as "bastardized" cats without the barn-door rudders, unstayed masts, etc. and also having keels and conservative rigs.

I'm not being critical - I own a Picnic Cat and a Horizon Cat, ha, ha

True but even accounting for this I would suspect there would be a greater presence. It's a decent boat.

bruce

I think the HC would be a great boat for south coastal waters mentioned. There will always be boat snobs, but I think the shortage of Com-Pac catboats in the NE is more about the availability of good used catboats of many brands, and the lack of local Com-Pac dealerships. Nobody is pumping out boats these days like they were in the past, including Marshall Marine.

Boat shopping at the Annapolis Boat Show in 2010, I left convinced we wanted a new open-cockpit, easily trailerable and garageable catboat. We test sailed what Marshall and Menger were offering, both an easy drive, but to get a ride in a Com-Pac we had to go back to MD to the broker that had manned the Com-Pac booth at the show, Tred Avon Yacht Sales. Com-Pac did have someone in northern NJ who could have helped, but that wasn't much better. In the end our decision was easy, the Com-Pac was the best for us.

There used to be an active Com-Pac dealership on the coast north of Boston (Fernald's Marine in Newbury?), but they closed in early 2000s. A current dealer, Eastern Yacht Sales, has offices well-situated in Newport and Vineyard Haven. We often are approached by interested onlookers at the ramp, I even have some Com-Pac brochures in the car, so I was happy to see a local dealer I could refer people to. I went in to the Newport office and introduced myself as a satisfied PC owner, and was willing to give an occasional test sail for a prospective buyer.  The person I spoke to admitted he didn't know much about catboats, or why anyone would want one. He won't be spreading the word!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Joe

I've mentioned this to the Hutchins boys as well. I don't really see any snobbery among catboaters up here, although there may be an element. Generally catboaters aren't like that, and me and the Mia Dale are just another guy and his catboat, lack of an enormous barn door rudder or not. I think people just like to still see catboats plying the sound, as in the days or yore. I moor and sail in shallow water so the kick up rudder is what works best, and that and the Mastender are real advances. In the end, these boats are really just modernized Herreshoff Americas, and they are not much different than the M-18s except they have a wheel which is great, and frankly are better equipped for short cruises and are also significantly less expensive to get into. I agree the lack of Horizons has to be more of a general unawareness due to lack of marketing and of existing boats in the area, although Eastern Yacht sells them at a competitive price from what I am told. Seems like if executed properly, New England could be a major market for these boats, and it would even be cool so see Com-Pac build a few right on one of the islands!!  I'd love Com-Pac to come up with a 22-24' version which sleeps 4.

jdklaser

Horizons were formally Herreshoff Americans as I understand it.  Catboats just make sense on the Cape.  Social cockpit, shallow draft, simple sail plan, easy to sail.  Grew up sailing beetles back in the 60s on Nantucket Sound.  Now I'm back with a Suncat.  Lines are perfect.  Gunkholing ideal.  Great little boat for fishing too.  This summer plan is to drag a Laser behind my Suncat over to Nantucket Race Week and race and enjoy the view. So many beautiful classics.   Only sailing problem is downwind in the typical steep chop when the wind is over 15.  Usually okay but it can pearl if you're not paying attention. Cat boats are great. 

Joe

We had entered Mia Dale in Race Week last Summer as part of a friendly harbor gathering, but did not go due to foul weather. Numerous cats but we were the only Com-Pac. Sailing close to the wind is also somewhat poor, but apparently better than some catboats. There were a couple times against a headwind and current that I just could not make headway through the zigzagging course required to get through inner harbor points and out into the main harbor, let alone the sound. The islands are just a great place to get your sailing chops. Around Nantucket the winds will change and the fog will appear.