a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard Suggestions

Started by MGS, January 09, 2019, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

talked to a friend of mine who is going to soak his carb in seafoam. I might try that
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

kickingbug1

does someone make larger jets for these merc 4 stroke carbs?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

slode

Larger jets will make the engine run richer, not a good thing.  Don't try to change those out! 

I've never had luck just soaking jets or full carbs,  it loosens the deposits, but you really need to get in there and mechanically remove the buildup.  Most of the carb cleaning tool kits don't have wires small enough to get into these tiny holes.   The best tool I've found is a set of 61-80 number drill bits that can be found at Grainger or online.  Just using your fingers holding the bit start with a bit that fits the hole loosely and work up one larger at a time until you feel just a bit of resistance.  don't go too large to where you are removing metal from the jet or carb passage.  Go through every single small hole in the carb blowing out each passage with carb cleaner as you go.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

brackish

Kick, have you eliminated the float valve as the cause of your problems.  If it starts, runs a short time, then stalls, the valve may be sticking closed.  If it runs then you idle back and it will not run at idle, and floods the valve may be sticking open.  I've had floats that opened and let some fuel in which causes them to be heavy and not rise properly.  Lots of time that is the problem but folks blame clogged jets.

I've had my carb completely clogged up with fine dirt dauber silt.  Took two cleanings but finally got it right.  Those pressure cans of cleaner have always worked for me.  My car rebuilding BIL used to swear by soaking but claims the soak has been watered down in its effectiveness due to EPA banning certain chemicals in them.

kickingbug1

as soon as the weather warms im gonna attack the thing again. I don't think the float or valve is the problem but I will not count that out. its probably 20 degrees outside so im not in a big hurry. hate to sell the motor. damned thing is like new and uses very little gas. starts up fine just wont idle worth a (*^*&^&%

Salty19

Hey Kick---if you can get that 49 Ford humming, that outboard should be easy.  Go buy one of those gallons cans of Gunk Carb Cleaner.  Tear that bad boy apart and let 'er soak for a few days.  Spray with Gunk Carb cleaner and soak another few days.   Once it's nice and sauced up, spray it real good with compressed air and a little flexible hose to get in passages.   A small package of model (CA) glue tips with the compressor at the big end and the tip down holes will work great.   

It will run like new until next year when you'll have the same problem, but it will give you something to do next winter!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

you would think that after resurrecting the 52 that I could fix that little lawnmower like merc. I will take your advice unless some buys it first. theres always a cruise and carry. those two little motors both run and idle fine. if only they weren't so noisey and old (from the 60s I think