a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Annapolis Repair / Maintenance Service Recommendations

Started by AnchorJockey, November 02, 2018, 09:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnchorJockey

I just moved my Compac 27 to Annapolis.  Right now its in winter storage at Jabins Yacht Yard.  I am looking for recommendations for rigging and sail repair services, as well as a recommendation on a good mechanic.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  Bob

Potcake boy

I once used Chesapeake rigging and was very satisfied. Wasn't happy with majority of shops in Annapolis, especially for sails. Don't know if they have sail repair available, but Bacon's on West Street was always a good source for used sails and boat gear. If you aren't familiar with them, you should plan a visit.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

AnchorJockey

Thanks.  I ended up taking my sails and canvas to Chesapeake Sailmakers.  Todd there was very helpful and informative.  Have yo heard anything about Diversified Marine Services?  They are one of the contractors working out of Jabins.  They seem to do it all.  I need a full bottom paint stripping & repainting.  While the mast is down, I want my standing rigging evaluated / repllaced as needed too.

PJ

On the standing rigging, I see several  trending to replace with dyneema vs stainless.  Has anyone gone this route  on ComPac boats?  It appears to be more self service  technology that is stronger than cable.  Perhaps an option for you though full disclosure, I have not tried it.  Any opinions  out there?
s/v Good Tidings

Potcake boy

IMHO - synthetic rigging is not the best choice for our boats. It was brought into use as many sailing innovations were by racers pushing the extremes. It has the advantage of lighter weight and greater strength, though neither of these characteristics are of material value to our cruising boats. We have modest sail plans with a very sturdy rig, and the same weight savings can be achieved by removing some extra gear if you wish to race.

1X9 has a life span of probably 20 years on the Chesapeake, where as synthetic suffers from UV degradation. There are several varieties available, some pre stretched and others need stretching under load before being put into service. There is also the aspect of what is referred to as "creep" requiring periodic re-adjusting of the tension which can be a tedious job as the are no turnbuckles for this rigging, and tension has to be applied to the rigging then the slack taken up in the terminal "blocks".

While there is nothing wrong about using synthetic rigging on your Com-Pac I don't think the advantage, if any is worth the extra expense and maintenance. I like stuff on my boat to work as designed when needed - surprises can be uncomfortable.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water