a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Another new owner HUll 118 ComPac 19'

Started by Fourwinds, December 09, 2018, 11:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fourwinds

So what holds the boom up when not sailing?  It looks like there is the slot to feed the main and boom up, but I don't see anything that would keep the boom from falling down when storing the boat.  I will be storing the boat with the mast up on the trailer. 
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

Reighnman

Welcome aboard! The 19 is a great "little" beast of a boat.  Topping lift holds the boom up. Salty gave a good explanation on first page.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

brackish

Quote from: Fourwinds on December 19, 2018, 12:31:24 AM
Thanks for that info, I would love to see pics.  That thread your linked has all the pics removed.
My initiation fee will be paid in the form of posting my repairs and upgrades as I go.....ha
Thanks again

Pics have been replaced.  Keep in mind my pics are 23 but 19 similarly set up and posts in the thread that give specific hardware.

brackish

Quote from: Fourwinds on December 19, 2018, 02:34:30 AM
So what holds the boom up when not sailing?  It looks like there is the slot to feed the main and boom up, but I don't see anything that would keep the boom from falling down when storing the boat.  I will be storing the boat with the mast up on the trailer.

You talked about setting up a CDI furler and if you do you will end up with a spare masthead sheave.  You can use it for a fully adjustable topping lift if you like, that is what I have done.  Or you can add a topping lift permanently attached to the masthead with double rings, to slack it when sailing.  A third option is a swedged on pigtail to the back stay with snap hook.  I also have that.

Reighnman

I did the third option Brackish offered though I cheated and clamped the pigtail to the backstay. I used a piece of black rubber as a shield so the clamp wouldn't cut into the stay. Probably frowned upon but it worked.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Fourwinds

Quote from: brackish on December 19, 2018, 07:43:47 AM
You talked about setting up a CDI furler and if you do you will end up with a spare masthead sheave.  You can use it for a fully adjustable topping lift if you like, that is what I have done.  Or you can add a topping lift permanently attached to the masthead with double rings, to slack it when sailing.  A third option is a swedged on pigtail to the back stay with snap hook.  I also have that.

Maybe once I get the mast up some of this will become more evident, but what keeps the mast end of the boom from sliding down when storing the main when not sailing? I get that the topping lift will keep the aft end up. Ordered a bunch of parts from ComPac today!!
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

Salty19

The issue I have with the pigtail from boom to the backstay is that you can't rotate the boom out of way of center when anchored.   Getting it out of the way frees up so much room in the cockpit to relax.  Whereas with a normal topping lift, I can use the bitter end of my boom vang to tie off to a shroud and hold the boom off to one side.  I use that same bitter end as a preventer on a downwind run.

This makes a huge difference in how large the cockpit feels and ease of getting into the companionway at anchor.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tim Gardner

4windy,  You need to purchase a sail stop.  Like here: from downwind marine.  about 8 clams.  Mount it under the goosneck slide and voila! 

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

brackish

Quote from: Salty19 on December 21, 2018, 09:15:55 AM
The issue I have with the pigtail from boom to the backstay is that you can't rotate the boom out of way of center when anchored.   Getting it out of the way frees up so much room in the cockpit to relax.  Whereas with normal the topping lift, I can use the bitter end of my boom vang to tie off to a shroud and hold the boom off to one side.  I use that same bitter end as a preventer on a downwind run.

This makes a huge difference in how large the cockpit feels and ease of getting into the companionway at anchor.

That's a great idea, although I'll have to try it, I kinda currently use the locked boom as a handrail.:)

Damsel19

Turn buckle length should be fine. The mast plate will add about 1/4 inch to each wire.
For motors I love my 2.3 honda air cooled long shaft. Have had a short shaft, long shaft is better for the transome hieght. There is a long thread dedicated to outboard options.

Fourwinds

Quote from: Tim Gardner on December 21, 2018, 11:14:09 AM
4windy,  You need to purchase a sail stop.  Like here: from downwind marine.  about 8 clams.  Mount it under the goosneck slide and voila! 

TG

Sweet, got one on order from ComPac!
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

Fourwinds

Quote from: Damsel19 on December 21, 2018, 08:26:10 PM
Turn buckle length should be fine. The mast plate will add about 1/4 inch to each wire.
For motors I love my 2.3 honda air cooled long shaft. Have had a short shaft, long shaft is better for the transome hieght. There is a long thread dedicated to outboard options.

Cool, thanks.  I will get the plate but not priority to get sailing currently.  I did decide the Honda 2.3 long shaft will be my choice; although I really want to go electric!
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

brackish

You kind of need two sail stops one to hold the boom up and the other to keep the lower sail slug from coming out when you drop the sail. However, once you have learned that the curvature of the coach roof is specifically designed to allow a one bounce dive into the drink when you drop one and you've dropped about three of those expensive things you may think about something like this for the top one.  about $5 McMaster Carr catalogue.

Damsel19

I used the classic sail stops for years. I only lost 2 or three...
My 19 came with a piece of short aluminum tubing slid into the sail track below the boom, drilled and tapped for two screws that clamped it in place. My 16 was the same.  I really like mastgates.com. Having a mast gate allowing the slugs or boom to pass by the cut out in the slot make reefing and handlind the main much easier. When anchored I sometimes slide the boom up un naturally high as a ridge pole for an awning.