a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

okeechobee waterway

Started by mr toad, March 21, 2007, 09:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr toad

has anyone taken the com.pac 23 through the okeechobee waterway - on the charts it looks like the waterway is from stuart to near fort myers

thanks

rdeal
mr toad 23/3

jimyoung

I have never had the pleasure to sail on a 23, but I have taken the trip across on my 27. The trip is definitely worth the adventure. A lot of motoring, several locks that require advance planning and timing (the lock at St. Lucie has a rise of about 12'), and a great sail across the second largest fresh water lake in the US. If the wind is blowing out of anywhere it can get REALLY choppy (4' seas really close together is not uncommon).

All total the waterway is about 150 miles long and with good weather and planning  some great anchorages.  I suggest go soon or wait until after summer because the heat and bugs will be intolerable June thru September anywhere but on the lake itself.

There are two routes across the lake, I have not taken the "rim" route, instead opting to sail directly across.  Watch your course closely if you do not have GPS as some of the daymarks are quite a distance apart and the deepest part on the lake is only about 10'.  Hard to believe when land is out of sight.

Should you decide to take the trip, good luck and fair winds, you will most assuredly come home with a story or two.

mr toad

thanks

sounds like an adventure, waiting to happen
rdeal

breeze

I agree, the Okeechobee Waterway is a trip that is well worth taking. There are Meany nice towns to stop at along the way, and relacing scenery to look at. Screens are required for this trip, there is no shortages of bugs. It is also a nice chance to do some fresh water fishing.
David