a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How Faith Do You Have In Your Eclipse

Started by gmerrill, October 04, 2018, 05:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

I've only had my Eclipse for a year now and have been in some 15 plus winds and some 4 foot rollers. This single handling my boat with an auto tiller. I've never felt my safety was compromised or my boat was incapable of handling the conditions. I'm looking to hear from someone that can put out a reasonable limit or capabilities of the Eclipse if there are 2 capable sailors on board. I believe the boat though small has some great sailing capabilities. Anyone with an experience or opinion on this question

slode

I too have only been sailing my Eclipse for a single season now.  I haven't been close to pushing her to the limit.  One of the most exciting days was on Pepin.  A front pushed through and winds picked up to 20 knots with gusts to low 30s.  Once we got a reef in she handled it fine.  The gusts started shifting quite a bit making it hard to stay on course, so we rolled in the genoa all the way and where still making good windward headway.  Whitecaps were spraying off 3-4' waves and the Eclipse just drove right through them head on with barely a spritz making it to the cockpit.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

I just finished my 4th year of sailing Off the Wind, my 2007 #49 Eclipse.  I have never felt in danger - not even close.  I was out in Charlotte harbor, Florida, 2 years ago when a storm came out of no where.  As the wind approached 20, I rolled in half of the Genoa.  At 25 I put a reef in, pulled most of the board up, and rolled in the Genoa to about 25%.  We continued to sail toward the port with PFD's on, the companion boards in, and all hatches closed.  The Eclipse just sliced through the 3 footers.  I kept my hand on the tiller, and the main sheet in hand - not cleated off.  I realized the pressure on the sheet when the next day I could barely bend my arm.  Keeping it un-cleated is a hold over from my MC Scow sailing days where cleating off the main was a terrible idea.  I had another very competent SunCat sailor along and between the two of us we carry too much weight.  Nothing like rail meat!

I generally sail over 50 times a year unless fighting Prostate Cancer.  The last winter in Florida was a bust with Off the Wind in the water only twice, but overall I have over 200 sailing days on this extremely capable boat.  I have owned 4 boats with cabins.  A Capri 16, P-18, P-21, and the Eclipse.  None of the other boats were as capable a sailor as the Eclipse.

Yesterday I stripped the deck getting her ready for the 1350 mile trip South for the winter.  Removed sails, bimini, shrouds, and anchor.  Some cleaning and treating the teak, and charging the batteries and I will be set.  Hoping for a better sailing winter.  I am getting stronger every day and my PSA went down to 0.16    I am really thankful and have really appreciated the calls, E Mails and cards that many of you in the Eclipse family sent.  From the bottom of my heart - THANK YOU.

Sail On....

gmerrill

Al
   Thanks for sharing the great experience you had sailing, but even better the good news about your health.

Greg

waterwheels

Al, glad to hear you are getting stronger and preparing for a season of sailing down south. Thank you for mentioning putting the boards in when the weather picks up. I am always amazed to see smaller boats out in big seas with boards out and companionway open. I guess some folks may not realize that the big pocket of air in the boat is what is going to keep her afloat should you get swamped by a wave. It is too late to put them in later.

Just took Living Water out yesterday getting read to store for a long winter ahead. Keep the Eclipse post coming....they keep me going until spring.

Don

TedStrat

Glad to hear you're getting ready to head south again Al - the final ingredient needed for your full recovery! Wishing you a great and healthy sailing season.

Gmerrill - I've been caught without a reef in with 25 kt gusts and the eclipse just heals and spills out the wind and rounds up. After everyone on board panics and climbs to the high side as if it were a sinking ship they all laugh. Has happened a few times and always amazes me how well it handles weather.. like Al I always hold the main sheet in those conditions but I keep it in the block - not so easy to "pop" out always but it works most of the time.

-Ted
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

gmerrill