a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Adjustable motor mount

Started by bruce, July 06, 2019, 08:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce

I know this topic has been covered in the past, this is just a heads up for someone, like me, who might be complacent because they're using a light-weight motor.

For our PC, we have two motors, a Lehr 2.5 and a Honda 2 as a back up. This week, both motors failed to start, on separate trips, when it was time to douse the sail and head up the narrow dredged channel, past several marinas, and through mooring fields, to get back to the often-busy ramp. We could sail, but it would be a lot of work. In playing with the motors, I noticed that the lever latch that sets the height of the motor mount was acting funny. I could see a loose bit of spring next to the latch, but the latch was still sprung and could hold the height once engaged. I also noticed that the bolt that the latch pivots on was bent, it was hard to see how much with the plastic spacers in place. This bolt also serves as the adjustment for the angle of the motor pad vs. the transom, so fortunately is removable without fighting the lift springs.

2-3 hp is plenty for a PC, hull speed is reached at 70% throttle. Our Lehr weighs about 40 lbs., and the Honda 30, with fuel, more weight on the transom just adversely effects trim. In order to use the motor mount Com-Pac provided, which is rated at 20 hp and 115 lbs, I cut 2 of the 8 lift springs, it was much too stiff otherwise. So, I'm using motors that weigh a third of the capacity of the motor mount. This thing should last for ever.

Once I got the bolt out, I could see how close it was to failure. I'm not sure what the result would be if it failed while motoring, probably the mount would jam is some way, but it wouldn't be good.

I labelled the first photo. The bolt is 1. The rubber plug for access to the rod that engages the latch at different heights, and captures the latch spring, is 2. There is crevice corrosion at the point of most wear on the bolt.

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

brackish

Garelick right?  I might mention that all of the composite pieces on mine started to crumble from constant UV exposure.  I called them about buying replacements and a nice lady said "let me check the bill of material and I'll send you replacements"  How much? oh no charge I'll just get them off the assembly line and send them to you.  Mine was twelve years old at that time.

bruce

Could be, but I've yet to find a manufacturer's mark or label on the thing. At the time (2011), the closest I could find was a Seasense 50072377. In discussions with Com-Pac, Gerry replied that the motor was rated for 88 lbs., but didn't identify the brand or model. Still overkill for a PC.

The current Garelick offerings differ. The Seasense is still in production, and I see another branded by Amarine that looks identical. I suspect the later, if not both, are knockoffs of a more established brand.
https://seasense.com/collections/motor-fuel-accessories/products/20-hp-universal-motorbracket?variant=14967790895147

Intersting that Garelick comped you those parts, I've heard they won't provide replacement parts due to liability issues. Safely working with those lift springs would be a challenge. The damaged bolt is easily sourced. The latch spring is custom, not off the shelf, but the part may be interchangeable between the original version and any knockoffs. Hopefully with a new bolt, and some lube and more frequent inspections, I'll be OK.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

mikehennessy

Hi Bruce,

I have been happy using a 55 lb thrust trolling motor to get in and out of the ramp area.  The marine battery is secured where the gas tank would go in the cockpit.  The battery has not gone below 90% charge on any of my trips after motoring.  No noise, no fumes, and it always starts.  The battery is charged about once a week.

Still have a small amount of rudder chatter but much less with the rudder pin kept in.

Added the tack jiffy reefing system yesterday with a soft shackle through the reef cringle as a belt and suspenders backup.  The tack reef, clew reef and lazy jack adjustments are all on the boom within easy reach standing mid-cockpit.  Takes less than a minute to put in or douse a reef. 

Regards,
Mike
2018 Sunday Cat "Good Chemistry"

bruce

Thanks, Mike. I have been thinking electric, as I consider my options.

Glad to hear the rudder chatter is less annoying. Did you try slacking the uphaul line? My theory is the CB buzz is the pendant, and the rudder uphaul may be doing the same thing, not that there's that much in the water.

Sounds like you've got a good reefing and lazy jack set up. I'd love to see a photo sometime.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI