a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Self Bailing Cockpit

Started by captbob57, April 27, 2020, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn1489

I installed the TH ball scuppers a few weeks ago. I think they are marginally better than the original flaps, but not enough to really make a difference. I still end up with a pint or 2 of water in the stern before I can get the plugs in. I did notice that the original flaps were bent outward a bit. Maybe if I turned them around, they would be more effective (or would that prevent water draining out?). The other thing about the balls is that I've noticed them fouling a bit already. Will probably need to remove & clean them periodically. Not a big deal, just trying to avoid bailing every time I go for a sail.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

Glenn,

I was out yesterday, with the ball scuppers and very tired, 10 year old drain plugs. No water came up the drains, and I'm sure it wasn't because of the plugs, they are hard and loose. I'm sorry you're having problems, but they ball scuppers have worked well for me, and many others.

The rubber flaps don't seat with any authority. They might be suitable for a drain well out of the water, against a significant wave, but not the drains on the PC. The seal of the ball to the silicone seat should not leak, if installed correctly.

Send some photos if you want help troubleshooting!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

bruce

Glenn, how's your trim fore and aft? The scuppers should be out of the water by an inch or two when you leave the boat. Our boot stripe is about 4" above the waterline, and parallel. I just checked with a friend who kept his PC in a slip on Cape Cod Bay, and he didn't experience fouling with his ball scuppers. He had the same problem, that water would come up the drains when he boarded and headed aft to install the plugs.  The ball scuppers made all the difference.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

glenn1489

Here are two pictures: the first taken from above, with me in the boat leaning over the stern. The scuppers are completely submerged, but this is maximum weight in the stern (not typical). The second has only the weight of the motor (taken from a dinghy behind the boat). You can see the fouling, but it seems to be mainly on the plastic casing, not the ball or the silicone seal. This is only 3-4 weeks after installation, so I'll need to keep cleaning them. At least the case is easily removed, though the set screw is a little awkward to get to with the boat in the water. But it seems the weight of the motor is keeping the scuppers a little lower than optimal. It's a Tohatsu 3.5 and weighs about 43 lbs.  Not much I can do about that. So with a little wave action, a small amount of water freely comes in & out. If I had longer arms I might be able to put the drainplugs in before I get in the boat. Not much I can do about that either.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

Thanks, Glenn. A couple of quick questions just to cover the bases. Do the ball scuppers work when clean? Both sides? I didn't use bedding compound under the silicone ring, relying on the silicone to seal on the smooth/flat gel coat. I was concerned the bedding compound wouldn't be as flat, and could distort the silicone ring and seal. I did bed the screws in the transom, to protect the plywood core.

43 lbs. for the motor is as much as I'd want, but should be OK. My Honda 2 weighed about 30, but the Lehr 2.5 and my current Spirt 1.0 are around 40. I'd try playing with trim first. Looking at the overall load, and shifting, or possibly adding some forward. Obviously you want any water in the cockpit to drain, but you might be able to gain an inch or two at the scuppers. On our boat, the CB trunk is within a degree of being parallel with the boot stripe, so I use a level on the CB trunk to test trim. Easier than looking over the side.

Unless you object, I'll post your photos on the PC Groups.io list and see if anyone there has had similar issues and found a solution. I'm not the one to ask, but that seems like a lot of growth in 3-4 weeks!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

glenn1489

I think you're right about the trim.  Even when the scuppers were new, they sit right at the water line and any wave action sloshes some water in & out.  The balls Seem to bob around if they're not fully submerged. The motor is a Tohatsu 3.5. More than I really need, but not looking to invest in changing it.  What would you suggest to add forward weight? A sandbag in the front compartment? I don't keep any gear that has heft to it, just some lines and fenders. 
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you're super light, so some extra weight won't be a problem.

I use 100 lbs in sand in gaffer bags for trim when it's just my wife, our Scottie, and me sailing. I'm the heavyweight, at the helm, so I put them in the forward locker. If we do have additional crew, I can take the bags out, if I remember. Weight in the bow isn't good in general, but what the boat lacks in fine entry, it has plenty of buoyancy. We also have an anchor on a bow roller and rode up there. Still, at rest, our boot stripe is roughly parallel with the waterline.

Experiment with whatever you've got handy. Jugs of water would work. I don't secure the sand bags, but it would be better if I did. If we do turtle, they'll find the new down.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

glenn1489

Thanks Bruce! I'll give that a try.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

brackish

I know it isn't apples to apples, but I had a fairly serious problem of shipping water up the scuppers on my 23.  I removed a 104 lbs. 9.9 el four stroke and replaced it with a 59 lbs. 6 hp sail pro and have not had a drop since.  The lighter motor also solved several other problems, the most impacting was trying to get it to lift up when not in use.  The spring assist on the lift was not what was needed for that weight and my poor back took up the slack.  With the sail pro, the lift does all the work.

bruce

I agree, Brackish. I thought he might be trying to use a motor that he already had, or came with the boat, that was clearly too big. 43 lbs. for a PC is an upper limit, but I bet he can trim to balance the motor effectively, before springing for a new motor.

We have the opposite problem with the motor mount. The spring rate on the mount Com-Pac provides is overkill, we have to cut 1-2 of the 8 lift springs to get the motor down without climbing on top of it.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

glenn1489

Wow - that has to be one of the best $5 investments I've made! I added two 50-lb. bags of sand in canvas duffels in the front locker. My scuppers are now about 2" above the waterline (boat empty). My prop is out of the water too, which is an added bonus since I was thinking of replacing the motor mount next year to keep it from fouling. The motor came with the boat - if I ever replace it, I'll go with a smaller one. Chipped a few barnacles away from the prop and the scuppers and I think I'll be good for a while. Thanks again for the idea!
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

Excellent, Glenn, I'm glad it helped. I see Tim's checking on your avatar issue. Hopefully he can sort it out.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI