a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New "Mast Down" Canvas Sock

Started by Maritimer67, September 25, 2018, 05:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maritimer67

I just had some canvas work done for my newly acquired 2008 Sun Cat.  Living in the Tampa Bay area afforded me the option to take my boat to Ameriseam, who is the supplier of the canvas work for Hutchins (not sure if they do it for all the boats, but they do the Sun Cat work).  I had a special request, that I wanted the "factory option boat cover", but I wanted the cover to be able to also be used with the mast up.  Having the boat in his yard, made it easier for him to play with the pattern to make sure the adjustments he had to make (adding zippers and closures for mast and stays), would do the trick.  I'll take pictures of it and post later this week.  I also had him make a new mainsail cover and repair the bimini cover.

And, I asked him to make a cover (I call it a sock) for covering the mast openings when the mast is down (without the full cover on it).  After looking at what other owners were doing and fooling around with plastic jugs, rags, etc., I knew there had to be a better option.  They made the sock shown in the pics, which is lined inside with vinyl for water-proofing and is attached top and bottom with twist closures.  They have the pattern made if you want one.  $35.  Contact Jim (owner) at Ameriseam - (813) 854-1128?
www.ameriseam.net
Really a nice guy to work with.  Took him a few days longer to do the work than expected but the quality and fit is there, so no complaints!
Roger M
2008 Sun Cat #296
Apollo Beach, Fl

Tim Gardner

That is a great  solution!  Looks great too! 

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Ken J

Do you know if they have mast up patterns for other Compacs ?

Maritimer67

Ken,
Check on the Ameriseam website: ameriseam.net
They have a lot of items listed and they are all listed by boat manufacturer and model.
Roger M
2008 Sun Cat #296
Apollo Beach, Fl

Roland of Macatawa

I like it, too!
Thanks for the info.
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'