a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Auto Helm?

Started by alsantini, March 28, 2018, 01:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

First off I wonder how many Eclipses have an auto helm installed?  If yes, what model/mfg?  Would you buy the same unit again?  Installation issues?  Any pics?
I am contemplating one since I single hand frequently and it would be helpful when setting the sails, answering the call of nature, etc.....
Thanks, Al   Sail On

brackish

Can't speak to the Eclipse adaptation, but I installed a Raymarine ST-1000 on my 23.  It was maybe the best purchase I've made, because I single hand a lot.  I use it to set sails leaving the dock and flake and cover sails on the way in.  Also to go below and get my lunch. I also use it to steer the boat motoring when there is no wind.  It does really well for that and for down wind sailing (without a following sea).  It will work on a reach if the wind is steady with no gusts.  It does not do well with gusts nor with a following sea.  It does not have the instinctive anticipating reaction that a helmsman has for those conditions.

If you want to go over the potential installation for your specific boat their entire installation manual is online.  Helped me to order the right accessories for the installation.

Vipersdad

A Raymarine is on my list for this coming season.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Vectordirector

Hi Al,

How goes it?  I have a Simrad TP-20 that was included with my boat.  I would agree with the above as far as the performance using mine a few times on Lake Geneva solo.  It was a great help with getting the main up, going into the cabin, etc.  I haven't used it since I got the tiller extension though.  Just don't find it necessary for a couple hour day sail.  Long days solo it would be nice to have one. 

If you feel you need it then get it.  It does help when you need it but it eats the battery trying to keep up in the steep chop you get with the power boat wakes on Lake Geneva and short fetch on Charlotte Harbor with a south wind.  The worse the waves are the more it has to work. 

You are welcome to come take a look at mine and see how the various pieces are installed.  Power outlet from the battery is on the port side combing under the arch.  On top of the port seat near the very back is a plate that the arm on the bottom of the unit jams into to hold it while the arm comes out the front of the unit and attaches to a fitting on top of the tiller.  These measurements are somewhere online.  I think Raymarine bought Simrad or the other way around so the Ray units are exactly the same or very similar. 

My understanding from online research is that these don't like to get wet.  The plastic gears inside also don't last forever either.  I haven't really used mine much but it did work in light to moderate winds with flat water quite well. 

Come take a ride on my Corsair 24. 

Bryan
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

rogerschwake

I have the Simrad and will not leave home with out it. It's like cruse control, once you get use to it you wounder how you got along with out it. For single handing you can't beat it. Works just as good under power as it does sailing. I haven't notice it eating up my battery after being at CLR for five days. You mount it on the rail and connect to the tiller and install a power outlet and your ready to go. Get one bought, install and enjoy.

ROGER

gmerrill

I absolutely recommend you get one.  On my new eclipse I had Gerry install a ray marine 20t not sure if that's the right model number but it's not a ten. Had a Simrad and it didn't last long. They did replace it under warranty. My steers good in weather go I take the helm when it's rough just to be sure. Great when you need a nap eat or go see "John" Easily installed.
Greg

hoddinr

The Ray Marine ST1000 works great on my SunCat, Nomad.  I sail solo 95% of the time, and getting the sail up or down, it's a great help.  Also when motoring for a long stretch it takes the boredom out of the passage.  I can read, fix lunch, or do some minor repair or maintenance all the while making headway toward a destination. 

Ron

PENN

Can somebody please share a photo of the boat side mount point hardware for the Raymarine?