a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Newbie question

Started by FWFIV, May 22, 2007, 07:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWFIV

When raising the mainsail the pigtail on the backstay is disconnected, I assumed it stays that way while the mainsail is up.  But, on the ComPac 23 brochure there appears to be some type of stay or wire attached to the end of the boom leading up.  I don't see what is or isn't supposed to be attached to the boom end of my 1981 23.
Can anyone help?

mike gartland

I sail a 1989 23/3 and it only has the pigtail to support the main till the sail is raised.  Just don't forget to unclip it once the sail is up and reconnect before you drop the main (my boat had a couple of nasty frcture holes in the cockpit gelcoat where a previous owner had obviously let the boom come crashing down when he failed to reconnect the pigtail).
The topping lift you describe in the current ComPac 23 brochure may represent a standard feature topping lift on the newer 23/4 s.  Have fun with your C-23....it's a great boat.

Mike
Mike23

Bob23

My 1985 23/2 has a CDI roller furler installed so I use the jib halyard as a topping lift.  As soon as I disconnect the pigtail, I hookup the topping lift and leave it slack while sailing. Comes in handy while reefing, too.
   Bob in "Koinonia".

mike gartland

The unused jib halyard sounds like a good solution.  In my case, I have a set of Harken lazy jacks that, when tightened up prior to dropping the main, serve to hold the boom up in case I forget to attach the pigtail to the boom before releasing the halyard.  But I would still suggest attaching the pigtail as it holds the boom in place near the certerline of the boat and makes flaking and securing the main.

Mike
Mike23