a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Inflatable dingy deal

Started by mr.jadkowski, July 08, 2018, 12:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.jadkowski

I bought one of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Marine-Pro-Inflatable-Boat-with-Oars-Pump-and-Storage-Bag/48931057 to use as a dingy for my 16, and also for some river floating, fishing, and freediving. It showed up last night, and for the price ($110 with tax) I am pleased! It is actually a Bestway Marine Pro inflatable, which is the same as the Bestway Voyager 1000. The material is pretty beefy. It's quite a bit heavier than I thought; I'm guessing the raft itself weighs around 30 lbs. A pool toy this thing is not! I deflated it this morning after leaving it inflated overnight and I got it down to around 24x15x6", but that might be difficult to do in the cockpit of the 16. It might be a "blow it up when you need it, and then tow it back to the harbor" kind of thing.

The pump and oars included are adequate. They aren't as nice as the boat itself, but they are good enough. I like the design of the oarlocks and the oar clips. The oars are VERY secure when they are in the locks and clips.

Here is a picture of mine: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rj2yKaG8VKCgjsjM8

crazycarl

that is very much like the Intek inflatable i have.  very sturdy and makes a great pool for our grand daughter.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Tom L.

Looks like the Intex mariner 3 (same size). The Intex mariner has a 3 layer skin. PVC/polyester/PVC. Plus it has a slatted wood or plastic floor for a fairly ridged boat to stand in. It is $167 on one of the web sited.
I have been trying to decide if I should get one as a dink. How is that working for you guys??

Tom L.

Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

mr.jadkowski

I haven't tried it yet. I suspect the Mariner 3 with the inflatable keel and hard floor would row better than the raft I got. However, I read that it weighs twice as much and is twice as bulky when deflated. Personally, I wanted the flat inflatable floor for using it on rivers.