a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suncat ballast/CB construction and materials

Started by SoCalSkipper, March 25, 2018, 05:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalSkipper

Considering a Suncat. Interested to know ballast and CB material used over the various model years. Is it similar to the Montgomery 15/17 Ballast/Keel/CB? By this I mean it is a shoal draft keel using lead ballast with fiberglass CB and CB trunk.

Thanks!

rogerschwake

Ballast on the Sun cat is concrete in the shoal keel. The center board is aluminum. The center board trunk is in the shoal keel and doesn't take up space in the cabin.  My boat is a 2004 and I think they are all the same, if not, someone will speak up. Not sure there are any used Sun cats that fare west, but good luck finding one.

ROGER

Andre

I don't have any personal experience with a Suncat, but I own a 2008 Picnic Cat and a 2014 Horizon Cat and their centerboards are stainless steel, so I would suspect the Suncat would be the same.

Also the Com-Pac web site says that the CB and trunk are stainless:

http://www.com-pacyachts.com/com-pac-hutchins-profile.html

Andre

Jim in TC

We are new to the Sun Cat this season. I don't see it on the Com Pac website, but read somewhere recently that the ballast is 300# in the shoal keel as part of the 1500# displacement. Not sure about the centerboard, but it does not seem to be adding a great deal of weight to the system. She seems quite stable in moderate to heavy wind.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

DanM

My understanding is that the CB is stainless steel in a stainless steel trunk. I seem to recall the CB is 80 lbs. Can others confirm?