a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Easy and Safe Way To Tow Boat with Rudder On

Started by gmerrill, February 20, 2018, 12:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

Lift Rudder and make a mark about six inches behind the current rudder bolt and nut.  Drill hole through Rudder Head and the rudder galvanized head. Then install a pin through the holes that can be pushed in.  This will hold the rudder up firmly and secure.  The diameter of the hole and the type of pin you use is up to you.  I'm going to use a 3/8"s hole.  I called Gerry at Compac and he said it would work fine.  He said the smaller cat boats are built that way.  The use a pin to hold the rudder down when sailing and then the same pin to hold it up when traveling.

Greg

slode

Sounds like it should work fine.  I'd still crank the pivot nut tight to reduce bouncing and prevent wallowing out the new hole on the rudder blade.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Tom L.

My Sun Cat had the two holes, one for locking it vertical down one for locking it in the horizontal position. It was a clearance hole for 1/4"pin. I used a ball lock s.s. fast pin for locking the rudder in the horizontal and a 1/4' nylon bolt to act as a shear pin in the down position. Worked like a charm and very low cost. I am a trailer sailor and always left the rudder in place. As a clearance indicator I did add a red light and flag on the tip of the rudder. The light was one of those very bright red led lights that cyclist's use, it was on all the time day and night when travelling. The double A battery last for a long time.
Tom L.

Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

That's a great idea, Tom.  Putting a battery powered light back on the rudder, I mean.  On Nomad there's a special bracket and stern light that fits onto the rudder but then it has to be plugged into the trailer's electric wiring.  Dennis put it on, and it still works! 

I like the battery powered idea better - simpler and not subject to wire corrosion etc.

Ron