a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wanted: CP16 shortened mainsail

Started by moc4, July 02, 2018, 04:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moc4

Anyone have a used CP16 mainsail that has been shortened?  I'd like one for summer use that won't sit on my bimini.  I don't have reef points in my current mainsail, or sailing with it reefed would be an option, but not preferred.
thanks!

NateD

I had a local sailmaker shorten mine to clear the bimini. I had her take it off the top. I wanted a "fat headed" main, but she didn't want to do it for some reason and still angled the top of the sail. I think it cost about $200.

moc4

Thanks NateD.  What height is your bimini from the coaming/gunwales?   We are going to have one made and my husband thought the same things as you, have the extra taken from the top to preserve as much sail area as possible.  Apparently that might not be a good idea on a sloop rig.

NateD

I mounted to the deck, not the combing. It is an Attwood 2 bow 53-62" width. I think the model number is 10335. I did cut 1.5" off the bottom of the bimini pipe too, which then requires new fittings on the bottom. In the folded position, it is 49" from the tip of the fitting to the top of the bimini, not sure how high it is when opened up on the boat. My main sail measurements roughly are: Luff: 170", Leech: 188", Foot: 87"