a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lake Gunthersville, Al

Started by gmerrill, January 07, 2018, 05:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

I've been looking at places to go Lake sailing. The calmer water appeals to the Mrs.  Lake Gunthersville in North Alabama seems to be an idea location.  Does anyone know anyone or themselves who have experience with this Lake.  I reside in south Mississippi and I have plenty coastal places to go. Sometimes the weather gets rougher than the forecast and I wind up with a very sick wife.  She loves to sail but doesn't like the seasickness.  If you know of some Lakes  in my general area. There's not much in MS
Greg

brackish

Lake Guntersville is a really nice lake.  While I've never sailed there, I bought my boat there.  The day I went to close the deal, there was no wind to sail.  I stayed in the State Park Lodge which was very nice and a bargain. 
With regard to nice lakes in Mississippi, You're missing a bet if you haven't tried Bay Springs Lake and Pickwick Lake.  Both are nice, however they share the same defect that Guntersville has, you just don't always get decent sailing wind.  About four hours from you (Hattiesburg?), to Bay Springs, little longer to Pickwick.  I have good comparison knowledge having sailed the gulf coast extensively.  All these lakes are kind of sea sick friendly.

Bay Springs Lake is unique in that there is zero development so it is pristine.  But avoid the summer, too hot, too crowded, and often windless.  Fall and Spring the best.

gmerrill

Thank you for directing me to those locations.
Greg

carry-on

We went to Lake Guntersville last October. Took our kayaks. Many nice flat water coves for paddling.
The lake length is NE to SW and listed as 75 miles. We did cross the lake one day when the wind was NE with about a six mile fetch of open water. Wind was  8-10mph. Would have been nice easy sailing for our CP 16. The elevations at the shore line are significant. The Lodge is maybe 300-400feet above the lake. So SE and NW winds would not work well at least in that part of the lake.
There is a sailing club on the lake with a decent schedule of cruising and races; quite a few good size boats. That indicates to me that sailing is OK+. 
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886