a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Companion Way Hatch Screen

Started by slode, March 02, 2018, 03:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

I made a new set of companion way hatch boards with a removable screen in the top.  A piece of clear polycarbonate the same thickness and cut to the same shape as the screen can go in its place for trailering and nights when there's a chance of rain.  We wanted something to let more air through than the portholes.  And I didn't want to carry an extra set of boards so the option of having the screen in, or something solid, drove the design.  The screen/widow tuck neatly away in the cabin backrest cubby.

The screen is made of the same materials as your standard window screen insert available at any home store for cheap.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Saint-Gobain-ADFORS-5-16-in-x-84-in-Brown-Aluminum-Screen-Frame-Piece-FSP8492-U/100397094

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Saint-Gobain-ADFORS-Brown-5-16-in-Screen-Frame-Corners-4-Pack-FSP8571-U/100397097

Don't go too crazy with any taper or shape out of rectangular.  The corner pieces can bend a few degrees but not much more than that.  I followed the angle of the hatch boards for the screen sides and the screen rest without further support in the rabbet cutout in the support boards I set at the same angle.  I shaped the top to a curve to match the hatch board but probably would cut the opening straight across the top if doing it again.  The screen frame is very easy to kink if you try to form any radius in it.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

deisher6

Hey Slode, nice looking well thought out job.  Thanks for posting.
regards charlie

jimhuber2

That turned out really well! Was curving the top problematic? Can't beat the cost of materials. Great job.

Jim
Jim
CP-27 "Windrunner"
Hull #16

ChuckD

Nice!
What type of wood did you choose (asked the man who needs to craft a pair)?
Chuck
s/v Walt Grace (CP16)
Sequim, WA

slode

Thanks all for the compliments.  I would have used Teak but I had some maple and stain that matched the existing finish almost perfect.  I figured a few coats of good spar varnish would hold up okay and save me some $$. 

Curving the top of the board was no problem.  I used the factory boards and a flush trim router bit to size the new ones exactly to the old.  I made the top board a bit larger than factory and the bottom smaller.  I intend to use the bottom board to mount a couple clips and brackets to hold my phone (GPS), Bluetooth speaker, handheld VHF, etc.  and wanted to be able to easily step over it.  I'll mount those so they face the cockpit with the board backwards, and inside the cabin when you flip it around and install the top board.

I wouldn't try curving the top of the screen frame again.  I made it work but it would be much easier to cut the opening in the board straight and make the screen a basic trapezoid. 
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41