a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Loading Eclipse on to trailer

Started by gmerrill, December 13, 2017, 08:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

How far should you allow trailer in to the water when loading.  I used to measure loading my Precision by how far the bunk boards were allow d in the water. I've only been out 3 times. My last loading I got over the bunk board and stratch my keel some.
Greg

TedStrat

I think it dEpends on the angle of the ramp (steep or shallow). Personally, I generally go until,boat can float off bunks which varies from place to place and stage of tide (if in salt water). If you scratched keel it may have been a very shallow ramp and you had to go further.
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

Vectordirector

Hi,
Just takes experience.  It depends a lot on how steep the ramp is.  try this:  (you need 2 25 foot lines to do this solo) start out with the bunks on the sides just barely in the water and see how far you can pull the boat up on the trailer with a bow line while guiding the stern with a stern line.  The more the better.  when she stops, either tie the boat to the trailer and bring the trailer back a couple of feet, just not off the edge, or have your helper let the trailer back a couple of feet and then pull the boat up as far as you can.  keep doing this until you can get the bow clipped on to the trailer and slowly crank her in as you ease the trailer back more.  She floats right on and then you slowly pull her out while cranking in on the trailer winch.  Doing it this way makes it super easy as the winch isn't loaded much.  Once she's half way out she'll settle nicely and away you go.  Most people do it backwards and try to crank the boat on with the keel no longer floating.  she will slide on but it is easier to slide the trailer under first.  Doing it the other way is for trailers with roller bunks.  Keel boats float on and off.  They are not designed to slide.

Starting with the side bunks mostly out of the water helps them to guide the bow on straight and keep it straight as she is pulled up and out. 

Find a non busy time at the ramp and practice.  It just takes practice.  The steeper the ramp the easier it is.  The Eclipse is very easy to recover in calm waters. 

A tip:  Make double sure the centerboard is up before you attempt to recover the boat.  Ask me how I know this!

Fair Winds,

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Bilge Rat

The key I've found is to get the trailer in as deep as possible such that when you are guiding the boat onto the trailer the keel  is captured within the keel guides. Too deep and the bottom of the keel will float over the keel guides and you can gouge your keel on the trailer - which I've done!  One modification I made to my trailer was to replace the 2x4 keel guides with 2 x 6's which enables me to more easily "capture" the keel. I've always found that I need to crank the boat up the last foot or two into the bow roller.  I have the keel board (not rollers) and I spray some liquid rollers on it  that makes it even easier.
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

gmerrill

Thanks for the input. I think I'll change my boards to 2x6.

kickingbug1

on my catalina 18 trailer I have no carpet on my keel bunk. I have coated it with grease and the boat slides off cleanly and is very easy to winch on the trailer when I'm done for the day. I use two extensions, one telescopes from the trailer tongue the other slides into the receiver hitch. never get the rear wheels of my truck wet.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

PENN

I busted a keel bunk board off during a pull out with my old ComPac 16.  I also scratched up the bottom paint with the side bunks by trying to launch and land with the trailer in too shallow.

I decided I was never gonna let that happen with my new Eclipse (picked up in May '17) with that new Eclipse price tag.

I decided to spring for the CE Smith 75" trailer guides and a pair of 48" UV nylon covered foam post caps.

These come in very handy on deep water ramps and also ramps with current.  I would never go back to trying to use submerged boards to hold the boat in the slot by the keel. 

This set up has kept it dead center on every pull out.

I did need to add a thin chunk of wood as the standard bracket did not fit the C-channel trailer frame.  The posts have a slight inward camber which pinches the boat into place. 
Even with the slight pressure there has been no notable wearing on the nylon sleeves, after nearly 1000 miles on the trailer, since I added this set up.

alsantini

Good looking boat.  I love the dark hull.  Maybe you have said it, but where do you sail her and what is the origin of the name?
I have goal posts on my trailer too and have found them helpful on a couple of ramps although mine are behind the trailer wheels.
I think the hardest thing is to hit the keel guides.  I launch so often that my sequence works, so far, and I have not missed, yet!  The goal posts just act as a guide to centering the boat before it goes into the guides.
Only real problem I have had was in Boca Grande FL., at Uncle Henry's Marina.  Really shallow and I launched at high tide.  Came back hours later and there was no way I could retrieve easily without a tongue extension.  I had to wait an hour for a more favorable tide level.
Merry Christmas everyone.  I hope it is a good one and that Santa leaves some sailboat stuff under the tree.  Sail On....  Al

captronr

Penn, interesting to me how you moved the guides ahead of the wheel. Do you feel that is the optimal position?

When I first installed mine, I mounted them as far aft as I could (right next to the tail lights).  Shortly after, I moved them forward as far as I could BEHIND the wheels.  That worked much better for me.  I'll look in the spring if it would be to my advantage to go forward of the wheels.

Prior to adding guides, and the first time I retrieved the boat in high winds, I got the boat crosswise on the trailer.  By the time I got it unscrambled, I also had broken one of the wood bunks.

Ron

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

PENN

I think the widest part of the boat is right over the wheels (at the rear of the cabin top).
I chose to put the guides ahead of the wheels so that I could get the tightest fit, as I would not be going past the widest point in the boat.
The boat wedges into the guides when the bow is secured, and is held precisely in the center of the trailer.

I trailer and sail in a number of lakes in West and the Northern LP of Michigan.

alsantini

OK Penn.  I guess the position makes sense at the widest part of the boat but by the time the boat wedges itself in, you are already in the keel guides and the boat is centered or straddling the boards.  Since the boat is not straight with a constant beam, any position of the guides is a guess.  As I mentioned I use the guides at the back of the trailer like a goal post and visually sight the bow between them before I pull her into the keel guides.  Works for me but then there has to be many methods that work for individual owners.  Kind of like different strokes for different folks.  I think the real important point is getting the Eclipse onto the trailer and keeping her there as we go down the road.  Last year I came upon a powerboat on the asphalt.  Kinda gave me a lump in my throat. gulp....    Al

waterwheels

Looks like Magic Tilt has made some major improvements to the trailer tires and fenders since 2014....that would have saved me a lot of headaches and about $1000 dollars.

Great looking boat. Trailering is fun but sailing her is even better.

Enjoy

Don
"Living Water"

PENN

I referenced this forum quite a bit during the ordering process and felt I had to press a bit to get the 13" rims,
they chose the fenders after that. 
I got a bit of push back, with "...but shallow ramps", however it hasn't been a problem so far, and I am sure it rides better, for sure.
I actually pressed to go with 14" some time into the order, but the trailer was already in producion at Mag**** Tilt, and so I was told it was too late.

slode

Penn,

That's a great looking Eclipse.  Looks like it's free of exterior wood outside of the tiller and bowsprit.  Was that special order or has Hutchins gone away from teak on the exterior trim, companionway, and hand rails?  Does the interior still have wood floor and trim?

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

gmerrill

1st of all great looking boat. I see how moving the post forward a the widest point of the boat would certainly help.  Will be moving mine forward to see if it helps me.  I had a precision 23 before this boat and it allowed for a modification to the trailer to install a v shape guide that would push the boat right in to the keel spot.  You still had to get depth of water correct. To deep and you could float over the keel guides