a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Jib Furler Drum Position

Started by slode, October 27, 2017, 09:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

The line for my jib furler runs over the anchor and rubs the top of it.  It's a pretty standard Delta so I don't think this can be right.  Like others I noticed considerable forward mast rake (almost 2 degrees) And the side stay turnbuckles are almost all the way out and still very tight.  So I figured the D-ring below the drum that pins to the bowsprit plate may be too short (I was using the top hole).  Confirmed parts were right from Gary H. Am I missing an additional fitting that raises the position of the drum and sets the mast back a bit further?  Or is this right and the anchor just needs to be positioned differently?

I tried adding another D-ring (1" long) between existing and the bowsprit hole and that got the mast closer to vertical, still about .5 degree forward rake.  The side stay turnbuckles didn't even go past half in to tighten, and the furling line clears nicely.  But this took all the load off the front mast pin.  Any concerns with that?  Seems the back pivot pins have considerable more load to bear when setup like this.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

https://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/images/catalog/large/14084230.jpg  Take a look at this pulley arrangement.  A buddy with a P-23 has one and it allows him the clearance around "something" - not sure what but this might work.   Your anchor has the raised up area in the middle whereas mine is flat and clears the furler line.  My mast is straight up and down and my turnbuckles are about 1/4 threaded in from the end.  Not a 1/4 inch but one fourth of the threaded area.  I would release the  tension on the head stay (furler) until the mast looks to be straight then use a loos gauge to set the side stays to correct tension.  I suspect that the mast is positioned to far forward since you should have plenty of adjustment available at the side stays.  The front pin should not have any tension on it at all.  With the mast up there is only downward pressure on the back pins.  The weight and forces on the mast are all on the front and side stays.

waterwheels

Allan,

I put a pulley like that on the furling line back closer to the cockpit when I noticed the line was rubbing the finish off the teak. Allows for a straighter pull when furling the jib.

I too messed about with trying to raise the furler pulley over the anchor but put it all back when I realize how much it was altering mast rake and brought the boom too close to the arch for comfort.

Great idea, thanks for sharing.