a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Blistering in 27

Started by John Meny, February 22, 2007, 07:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Meny

Has anyone experienced problems with blistering on the gelcoat?

spaul

John, I have not heard of blisters as an ongoing issue with Com Pacs; however, blistering can happen to any fiberglass boat. My 27 a '92 model has an epoxy barrier coating. Now I'm the third owner and the second owner says he didn't apply the barrier coat. I do know this coating was an option from Hutchins and a damned good bet towards not having blisters.
I assume you have blisters or you might not have asked the question. If they aren't too bad you can likely deal with them pretty well on your own. Read up on them and decide for yourself.
I'm sure you'll be hearing from more cp owners very shortly.

Regards,
Steve Paul

stephens84

John,

I have a 1991 CP27. No problems with blisters. I'm the 4th owner and it spent 9 years in Lake Michigan. Now its back on the east coast.

Carl
CP27 "Knot Again"

jimyoung

John,
I have an 86 27' and it spends it's time in the waters of south Florida and comes out of the water every 4 - 5 years for bottom work.  I have had a few superficial blisters over the years.  I let them dry out, grind them out, re-epoxy the area and bottom coat. A pretty simple process if you get the area good and dry first, and I have never had any problems in the repaired areas.

I have had however, a real blistering problem inside the Ice box.  The inside surfaces of the box looks like it has been beaten with a reverse ball peen hammer (Bumps protrude outward)  It may be because I have added a refrigeration unit but I doubt it since I would think this keeps the box drier not wetter.  Anyone else have this problem?

Jim

LIsounder

John,

I just purchased a '89 27 and found it blister free.  As posted previously, and  if they are not overly invasive and not causing delamination, the simple grind-dry-fill should work fine.  Are they ozing blue??

John

spaul

Jim, that blistering on the inside of your icebox is interesting for sure. I suspect it's from condensation from the outside and I'll bet that glass isn't sealed. Quite the contrary I'll bet it's naked and soaking up moisture. I don't know how big a job it would be to get to it but I'm sure it's doable (new word) by removing the galley box. What fun that will be.
Keep us posted please.

Steve P.
27/2   "IM PAUL SIVE"
Nashville, In

perseverance272

My 1989 27/2 does have bottom blisters. about 1 per sqft, anywhere from half inch to an inch in size. There doesn't appear to be any delamination, only small blisters. I've concluded to just repair them as I do the bottom jobs over the coming years.  Structural issues due to blisters and very rare and then only in extreme cases.