a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailering long distance

Started by Psnell246, March 19, 2017, 07:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PasoSailor

I fried a wheel bearing b/c I assumed it was greased after sitting for a while (I greased them, then didn't use the boat for a couple years). One bearing was like new - the other side exploded and I was running the empty hub on a spindle - needed a new axle and hub assy! So just pull the wheels and re-grease once in a while (and I also like bearing buddies, but still you should disassemble, clean and re-grease anyway) - IMHO.

All that said - what do folks consider the right tire pressure for the small wheels / tires?

hoddinr

I recommend towing 55-60 MPH.  Stay in the right lane on the Interstates, get used to people passing you, and let the traffic ahead always be slightly pulling away from you.  Gives you more time to stop.  Also learn to allow those entering the interstates from On-Ramps to merge without changing lanes.

Ron

Citi853

Ron,

Excellent advise...we pulled a S2 7.9 from International Falls, MN to Columbus, OH using the same guidelines...smooth sailing all the way.

Joe B

Jon898

Quote from: PasoSailor on November 23, 2017, 04:58:26 PM

All that said - what do folks consider the right tire pressure for the small wheels / tires?

I use the pressure marked on the tires.  The PC is so light it may bounce a bit, but keeping the pressure up will limit tire heating.

Jon

moonlight

From time to time on occasion I wind up with customers trailers and never trust a single one of them. And this with a compressor and tire plugs on the vehicle we predominantly to with. I always pull over and check Hub temperature at 10 miles, 25 miles, 50 miles, and 75 miles before I relax and settle in for a long drive. Having multiple spare tires and even spare bearing sets is just good sense as well. With all that preparation, Murphy stays away; but if he does take a cheap shot we are usually prepared

Citroen/Dave

Another tip.  Replace the rubber air fill valves (Schrader Valves) with all metal ones.  They are less likely to leak and are more robust.  I have replaced all on my tow vehicle as well.
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"