a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outhaul Issues

Started by gmerrill, November 01, 2017, 08:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

Took my new Eclipse out for the second time. Wind was light so I loosened my outhaul and pull my sail in hoping to catch more wind. When the wind picked backed up.  I turned my boat in to the wind and pulled on the outhaul line and it wouldn't budge.  The main sail was crinkled where I had pulled it in earlier. I straightened it some and was able to pull it back out some. Seems I talked to or it was mentioned about the outhaul being a PIA.
Greg

kahpho

I don't know how the Eclipse is rigged from the factory. My Legacy outhaul was not rigged with a block so I added one and it worked easier. Not sure if this is helpful or not.
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

mattman

Lube to track and adjust with the outhaul while the main is fully luffed. If you want to adjust with pressure on the sail you will need a purchase.  Best of luck

gmerrill

Thanks for the advice on the lube seems simple solution.
Greg

alsantini

Speaking of lube....  I use McLube on edge of the sail that goes into the furler track.  Once a year I soak the rope in the sail and it really helps with raising and lowering.  An old salt at the marina saw me fighting the furler line in the drum on my P-21.  He said pull all the line out of the drum, ball it up in your hand and soak it with McLube.  It allows the line to slide over itself preventing the line locking up the furler.  I also will lube the track in the boom and the mast 2X a year just after traveling to or from Florida.  I think rain and 65 mph for 1300+ miles dry it out.  I also use a touch of silicone grease at the base of the mast slot, so the sail slugs move well.  Sail On, Al