a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Seeking Advice - Replacing the Electrical Switch/Fuse Panel on a CP19

Started by Minicruiser19, February 02, 2018, 03:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minicruiser19

Hello, I would like to install a masthead anchor light and also replace the original electrical switch/fuse panel in my Com-Pac 19 with one that has more switches and uses circuit breakers. Was wondering what others have used to upgrade the rudimentary stock panel. Thanks!
1999 Com-Pac 19XL, Hull No. 610

moonlight

Blue Sea Systems has a wide selection of really good stuff.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Stay away from anything with brass grounding bus, bakelite construction, et cetera.  USED TINNED MATERIALS ONLY.  They better resist corrosion, the enemy of everything electrical.  Green connections are not good connections.

Sadly, most ComPac boats were not wired to the ABYC color code.  But that doesn't mean your upgrades can't.  Grey is for tachometers, and running lights.  Dark Blue is for Cabin lights.  YELLOW is ground or DC Negative; (too many home jockeys were confusing the old black with the LINE voltage from their house, and commingling 120VAC line voltage with 12VDCNegative.  THis change was implemented many many years ago).

RED is DC positive until it gets a better job (like you buy rope in the store, onboard it's immediately line, then it gets a more specific name: mooring line, outhaul, downhaul, halyard, sheet, et cetera).
BROWN is pumps, usually bilge manual.  The red wire goes from the battery to the float switch.
FUSE YOUR BILGE PUMPS, as close to the pump as you can and remain dry.  If the rotor locks (wire ties, acorns, other crap in the bilge) the initial voltage spike will not trip a breaker, thence, as the pump is not spinning the amperage drops down but the pump heats up, until it melts, and sometimes catches on fire.  No worries, boat fires typically self extinguish, at the water line.  100% of the time if you're afloat when it happens...

Bob23

I've found the little book "Sailboat Electrics Simplified" by Don Casey to be of great help and well worth the 20 clams that Mr. Amazon wants for it. It really helped when I rewired my 1985 23 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Sailboat-Electrics-Simplified-Don-Casey/dp/0070366497/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518347511&sr=8-1&keywords=sailboat+electrics+simplified+by+don+casey

Damsel19

I recently replaced my panel with a blue seas weather deck panel. They do use blade style fuses not breakers. They are designed for wet spray or rain locations so a good choice for the companion way. The fuses are behind a silicone gasketed cover. Led lighting red off green on, dark means the fuse is blown or missing.
It took about an hour with a Fein saw/multi saw to upgrade into the existing wiring.
I am rewiring each circuit with new tinned wire as time allows. Added a small ground buss on the back of the "dash panel" next to the electric to facilitate the rewire, slowly eliminating the old trailer splices used originally.

Finbar Beagle

Mini,

Previous owner of my 19 made his own board, see pics below.
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Finbar Beagle

Finbar Beagle