a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What plans for new "stuff"

Started by alsantini, October 14, 2017, 01:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

I always like to hear what everyone is doing with their Eclipse.  What does the future hold for the boat?
I am contemplating an auto pilot for Off the Wind.  Sure do not need it up north during the summer but it might be a nice addition for Gulf sailing in the winter.  Anyone have one on their Eclipse and care to comment?
Boat is ready for travel to Florida in early November.  She has a new spare tire and cover on the trailer and is stripped down to her travel state.  Everything but the mast, boom and furler are off and stowed.  I believe that I have fixed the rain leak.  It is pouring outside right now so tomorrow I will go the boat with fingers crossed.  Hoping for a dry cabin.
Another question.... Do any of you have Dorado fittings on deck?  I have 2 flat triangles of fiberglass with Dorado fittings in the middle and the deck turn pulleys.  No Dorado - just the openings for two.  Seemed kinda strange and it looks to be factory installed?    Sail On    Al

captronr

Hi Al,

My list can keep growing.................

I installed a tiller tamer a couple weeks ago.  Haven't used it enough to know if I like it or not.  Originally, I tied the line to two snap rings.  They can easily go over the top of the rear cleats.  But I left enough slack in them that i can raise the tiller; but that doesn't seem to work.  I will tighten the line, and then when I want to raise the tiller, I'll have to undo one snap ring.

One thing I'm working on in my mind is a way to either attach the motor to the tiller, or fix something that will keep the prop off the rudder.  Seems if I leave the motor in  gear and step away, before I know it, the rudder is chattering on the prop.  I think a protective metal ring can be purchased, but the ones I saw were $100+, and i'm cheap.

I have a chunk of 1/2" thick rubber (think truck mud flap).  I'm thinking of cutting a piece of that and screwing it onto the horizontal plate at the bottom of the motor, thinking the rubber will keep the tiller out of the prop.

That's it for now.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

rogerschwake

Al go out and buy that auto pilot. I have a Simrad and would not sail with out it. I'm sure they all work similar, buy what you can get the best deal on. I sail single handed most of the time and use it when putting the sails up and down plus when the sails are up. Also handy when you go below to get a beer or what ever. Your friends might think you fell overboard when they don't see you in the cockpit and start a party, then you could show up and surprise them. Good winter project when it's to windy to sail down south.

ROGER

alsantini

Roger.  I would guess the install is about the same on your SunCat that it would be on my Eclipse, so any pics or words of wisdom.  I do not remember seeing the autopilot but of course I just walked past your boat in Carlyle.  I am leaning toward the Simrad TP-10 since it seems to have the most good recommendations.  Is it a battery eater?  Thanks, Al

captronr

Ok guys, help me understand this please.

I normally try to sail pointed high enough that a slight shift in wind, my sails flog and/or I stop  dead in the water.

Unless you tie an autopilot into a wind system, aren't you still faced with this same issue.

I suppose you could back off 10* from you highest point, which would mitigate the flogging/stopping issue. 

Thoughts please?

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

rogerschwake

Yes they do have auto pilots with a wind indicator that adjusts for wind change. They are not perfect but a big help when single handing and work good under motor also.

ROGER

Vectordirector

Hi Al,

I have no plans for my boat other than to sail her!  I dropped a bunch on her this summer with haul out, bottom paint, engine service and a detail.  She looks great!  Just need some decent weather.   

RE: the autopilot.  Mine came with a simrad tp20 that I used a bit when I first got the boat and I liked it but found that it did tax the battery a bit in the steep chop of Lake Geneva or Charlotte Harbor.  It would probably work better in the rollers of the gulf, but I have no idea if that is true.  I tried the tiller extension and haven't used the auto since. 
I don't sail more than a few hours at a time so the auto really isn't necessary for my use.  If you plan on solo for hours at a time it would be a great option.  For me, the tiller extension is all I need to stay pointed up while hoisting or furling the main.  If I need to go into the cabin or whatever, I just bear off and jam the extension in the floor where it keeps the boat on course for a few seconds.  Again, if you need more then that, you need to look at other options.   

The auto is a great option if it meets your needs and budget and you understand it's limits.  If the boat is overpowered it doesn't keep up very well.  The more it is working to hold course the more it will drain the battery.  Bottom line is:  if you need it, you need it. 

Vectordirector

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold