a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

First Day with the New Eclispe

Started by gmerrill, September 28, 2017, 10:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

Interesting first day with our new Eclispe.  Al Santini was a big help with helpful tips of getting mast up and down. Will start outfitting with tie down straps and other items helping me to tie down  and ready boat for the road.  Seems to take more time to take mast down and ready for the rode than just raising mast.  Not sure my outhaul is pulling sail back all the way. Roller furling working well and easy to back down with mast. Got a busy October with 2 weddings.  One of which is my daughters. Thanks for your encouragement.  Hope to be as helpful in the future.
Freg

lkm

2005 Eclipse #20 - Figaro

gmerrill

Don't know how to post photos on th website. Can send to your email if you want to post your address
Greg

alsantini

Greg.  Take it a day at a time. Each time you raise or lower the mast it will get easier.  Main error that some of us have done is to not connect or tighten the jib halyard to the J pole so the weight of the mast is on the pin at the hinge.  This bends the crap out of it!  You will only do this once!  After removing the hinge and getting the pin re-welded, you WILL make sure of the connections prior to raising or lowering the mast.  I came off the water with storm clouds hanging overhead and lightening in the distance (in Venice Florida).  I got in a hurry and lowered the mast on the pin.  To my surprise, it actually held the weight all the way down but it was really bent.  Last sail of the 1st winter season I had the boat, so I waited until I was home to have a fantastic welder that I know fix it.  Now I STOP and go over my mental to do list just prior to raising or lowering the mast.  I frequently find a shroud that will get caught, or a line in the way.  So, the procedure works for me.  Last season I raised and lowered the mast 27 times with no problems.  Good system if I use it correctly.  LOL  Sail On   Al

Any of the rest of the Eclipse Nation want to share their screw ups so Greg does not have to repeat all of them?

Vectordirector

Just got done rigging the boat after stripping her for Irma. 
Took a while to remember how as I haven't had to do it for 3 years and this was the first time I removed the boom and main.  It was also the first time doing it in the water so that was different.  Went back together in time and she's ready to go.  Just need some wind.

Al is always a great help as he has a lot more experience with trailering and rigging than I do.  Practice helps, I've only rigged  a half dozen times and that was over 3 years ago.  I'm sure you will get it down and do it quicker if you do it a lot.  It always took me almost 45 minutes to get her ready to either sail or trailer.  I hated that so I stored her mast up at the yacht club for a couple of years, that helped a lot as I could get her ready and in the water in under 10 minutes.  The last 3 years she's been in a canal in my backyard and ready to go in 5 minutes. 

Most of my screw ups are archived here on the forum.  We all have them, it is the only way to learn.

The best thing about the Eclipse is that I'm quite sure she can handle more than I can. 

Have fun, Good luck,

Bryan
aka Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold