a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cleaning cabin cushion foam

Started by curtisv, October 25, 2017, 03:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtisv

Anyone have suggestions on how to clean the cabin cushion foam?

Most years I clean just the covers but this year due to some dampness I have a touch of black, most likely mildew on the foam.  I was thinking of mixing some laundry detergent with water in a bucket and either sponging it on or pouring it on and letting it soak and then later rinsing with the garden hose.  Alternately maybe roll up a cushion or two at a time and stuff in a clean garbage pail, fill with water and add detergent, then soak, then rinse.

Any better ideas?

ps - this year cleaning everything that occupies the cabin or cockpit lockers, including docking lines and other extra line.  I might need to improve cabin ventilation.  Or sail more often with ports open and keep cabin hatch and ports open when at anchor even if just for lunch and not going into the cabin.  Just sailing with the companionway open isn't doing it.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Finbar Beagle

I left my ports open all season, and did not detect any water issue.

Except when I hose the deck down and forget about the open ports....
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

curtisv

Problem was I left the ports closed all the time and it must have held the moisture in.

In past seasons I've left ports open while sailing, put the rail in the water and managed to splash a fair amount of water in before realizing it.  Not so this year.  Quite the opposite.

I think I'm going to try the soak the cushion foam in a trash barrel thing.

Curtis
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA

Bob23

I've had a solar exhaust vent on my 23 from the beginning and along with a cowl vent on a dorade box on the foredeck and a cowl at the stern, I've managed to keep mold and crud to a minimum. A bit of leakage from the portlights tells me it's time to reseal...again!
   I've resolved myself to the fact that because our little yachts spend their days surrounded by water, it's never gonna be desert dry down below. I have not had the mildew problem on my cushions but I'll be eyeing this thread as this year my little Koinonia was treated to new cushions done in a nice green Sunbrella fabric over 4 inch foam. I like 'em!!

Andre

Try home-brew Formula B as described in Practical Sailor magazine.  Google "practical sailor formula b".  I used it with some success on mildewed throwable cushions.  In any case, it's cheap!

Andre

curtisv

Thanks for the hints.  A solar vent and dorades would help.  I already had some commercial mildew spray but when/if that runs out I'll try formula a or b.

This is not something I expect to have to do every season.  There was only very light mildew stains on the foam.  Here is what I've done so far.  First I washing machine washed to covers.  Luckily zippers still work.  Then I took the foam for the v-berth which were more lightly stained.  I sprayed the stuff on (Starbright Mildew Stain Remover).  It didn't eat the foam so I sprayed away at any darker discoloration.  Then I hosed it down with the garden hose.  Then I rolled up each foam piece and stuffed each into a trash barrel.  Fill with water.  Add laundry detergent.  Let sit for 3-4 hours.  Dump water.  Refill with water (first rinse).  Its dark out so first rinse will sit overnight and tomorrow morning I'll do the second rinse.  Then repeat with the quarter berth cushion foam.

The interior cushion covers look great after a washing.  They seem brighter.

The zippers on the cockpit cushions haven't worked in years so I clean them with the foam in.  This is closed white vinyl over closed foam so OK.  The minor problem I have is light staining from cormorant poop.  It helps to know your bird poop.  Its definitely cormorant.  It leaves an orange stain.  After repeated scrubbing with a mix of bleach and water all of the stains are smaller and more faint.  None are visible from a distance.  One side is of each is white so all is OK.  I rinsed these with the garden hose and they are propped in the garage to dry.

I also scrubbed to white throw cushion with bleach and water and that is fine.

This is a more thorough cleanup than most years and I think the first year I'm cleaning to interior cushion foam.  I've also done most of the usual stuff like powerwash the bottom.  I still have to pump out the holding tank (by no means a fun job).

I have lots of stuff from the boat spread out in the living room.  My wife has been away for a few weeks helping her father but is coming back in a few days so I have to get busy.

Curtis
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA