a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse Pickup

Started by gmerrill, September 24, 2017, 08:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

Tomorrow is the big day. I'm picking up my Eclipse. But just as important I finally get to meet Gerry Hutchins.  I'll keep you guys updated as I get used to my new eclipse.
Greg

TedStrat

Exciting day - goodl luck. If you love it as much as I do mine you will never look back! Tell Gerry, Ted says hi!

-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

Bob23

Please do keep us posted. I love the Eclipse and if I were to become a non 23 owner, the Eclipse or possibly a Suncat heads the list of Compacs to own.
Enjoy!!

Vectordirector

Good Luck!  Make sure someone shows you how to properly rig her, the manual is a bit lacking in that area.  There are a lot of steps and a checklist would have been nice.  The more times you do it the better and faster you get.  I don't rig mine very much as it is in my backyard ready to go.  I stripped her for Irma and that took about an hour in the water.  She seems fine and I was waiting to see where Maria went and I will re rig her tomorrow.  It is starting to cool off a bit and I haven't sailed in almost 3 weeks with the storms around so I can't wait to get out. 

Let us know if you have any questions. 

Fair winds,

Bryan aka
Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

captronr

One big "Ooops" I hope you can avoid like I didn't--Make sure when you raise the mast, everything is free and loose.  If the mast raising system starts to pull a little tough, STOP.  I didn't and bent up the mastender system badly.  I sent it to Compac and they straightened it, but it  still isn't 100% yet.
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

waterwheels

I have had trouble a few time raising the mast too. If you don't get all the coiling out of the shrouds they don't seem to hang just right and tend to bind where they insert into the mast. I echo....any slight tension or something doesn't feel right lock the cleat and check it out. Better safe than sorry.

Don
"Living Water"

alsantini

Greg.  I am excited for you.  Hopefully there will be pictures to share.  The very best of luck and the hope that you will love the Eclipse as I do.  I know you have my phone number and hope that you will feel free to call at anytime should you have a question or six!
I am in the process of getting Off the Wind ready for the Florida trek.  I pulled her early this year since I had some maintenance to do.  Go get em and Sail On....  Al

gmerrill

Had a 12 hour trip home pulling the eclipse.  Maybe the manual has been updated. It seemed pretty thorough. I haven't had a chance to unwrap her and get a fee for the setup and rigging. She's a pretty boat. Trying to decide which type of protection to put on the teak. I certainly will be shouting out for help I'm sure.   Thanks for all the encouragement
Greg

Bob23

Greg: This is exciting and we all feel as if we're welcoming a new addition into the family! We all want to see the baby pictures and of course, her name. Congratulations! So far, I've only gotten to buy one new boat for myself. It might be the only one. But it felt so good!
Best to you!!

brackish

Congrats Greg! Glad you made it back OK.

Are you going to keep it in Hattiesburg?  I remember you mentioning that one of the factors that led you to sell the P23 was insurance.  Was that in water on the Coast?  I've been considering moving my boat to in water on the coast for part of the year at least.  Was wondering about the insurance.  I currently pay just under $300 for $25K of coverage in water at Bay Spring Lake, in NE MS.  Wondering what the increase would be if I went south.  My current coverage is through Boats U.S.

alsantini

Fantastic Greg.  When I bought my boat in 2013, the teak had never been touched.  A good friend in Florida was sold on Semco as a sealer so I cleaned the teak and put 2 coats of "natural" on.  I am really impressed at how it looks, the protection it appears to give and the ease of re-treating.  It is not shiny like varnish or colored like some of the other preparations.  It allows the natural look and feel of teak to come through.  I treat it twice a year and it take about 45 min to put on two coats.  I have not cleaned it since the first application.  It is like really thin and just flows using a good brush.  Of course, I have had guys onboard who say your teak doesn't shine?  When are you going to varnish it? sigh....  It is not for everybody but I love it!  Pictures??    Sail On  Al