a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cockpit Locker Organization

Started by reedtg3, February 15, 2013, 03:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reedtg3

Any of you old timers (so to speak) tackled the problem of how best to organize gear stowed in the cockpit lockers?     
Tom/CP17SC377/Cattail/Lake Harris, FL   

bfelton

I use a couple of Rubber Maid boxes.

Bert Felton

reedtg3

Me too, Bert, so far.  Maybe Cap'n Nemo will post photos of his lockers.  He must be sailing this afternoon.
Tom

capt_nemo

Did I hear someone mention my name?

No photos available of my cockpit lockers because there is nothing noteworthy to document with a photo.

I use the cockpit lockers as follows:

Portside:    A large rubber horse bucket from Tractor Supply that contains a 11 lb Claw anchor with 20' of chain leader on the end of 150' of 3/8" Nylon Rode. (I anchor
                 from the cockpit then move the rode to bow chock and cleat.)
                 Two folding seats for the cockpit, one for each side (and tack) to protect my back when leaning against the high coaming.
                 Two homemade full side fenders made from pool noodles (3 each) to protect the topsides from ramp dock piling barnacles for low tide launch and retrieval.
                 Additional dock lines.

Starboard:  Full complement of PFD's.
                  Two homemade jibs in sail bags.
                  Medium size plastic storage box with fire extinguisher and flares.
                  Homemade PVC Tiller extension.
                  Small plastic storage box with various sized line lengths and bungee cord.

Note - most of the items are large and irregularly shaped which doesn't leave much room for anything else.

The rest of my sailing "stuff" is stored down below in the under Bridgedeck homemade Step/2 Drawer Storage unit or the Larger Starboard Side homemade Storage Unit. Don't quite know what I'd do without them to organize and stow all the small items we tend to carry aboard our boats.

capt_nemo

lockwoods

Capt Nemo:

I thought I say a post from you way back on this subject. I have a new Mercury 5hp that has clutch on the front and I am trying to figure out some kind of extension rig, so I dont have to be leaning over the transom when docking,  Suggestions?

Steve at Hog Pen Creek