a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boat names and Tradition

Started by GlennB724, August 29, 2004, 05:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennB724

Ahoy all!  Of course the sailing world is STEEPED in tradition.  One that I've heard is that it is bad luck to change a boat's name.  My previous boat was purchased with the name "Cormorant", which I didn't really like that much, but grew on me over time.  My "new" Com-Pac 16 has just arrived at its new home under the name of "Dog Watch".  I could live with it, I even kind of like the way it's both nautical and a play on words; but alas, my darling wife has serious issues with the name.  So... has anyone here broken with seafaring tradition and changed their boat's name?  Has the wrath of the Sea-Gods fallen on any that have?  Am I being riduclious in listening to the old salts?

Gil Weiss

There is a special name change ceremony that I saw here on the net. I believe was in one of the links to the old CPYOA site. I seem to remember it was a site general to several small pocket yacht brands including ComPac. West Wight Potter and Precision. By using this "ceremony" you do not bring bad luck when changing a boat's name. It was not a dificult process. Luckily my CP16 had two preious owners that never gave it a name.

I am sorry I do not have the site's name but you might try a search for changing a boat's name, etc.

CaptK

Hi Glenn -

Look in the "Files" section of the Yahoo CP Group, it's there, a file named "renaming.exe".  I need to make a copy of that for here, it'd be a good one for the FAQ's...

Epiphany used to have a different name, but when her ex-owners started to tell me what it was, I stopped them, and said I didn't want to know. :)

I did the ceremony, with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, IIRC. :mrgreen:

PS - WB, Gil!
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

vigsail

Check out Jon Vigor's naming/denaming ceremony.  It's on a few sites...just do a Google search and it'll come up.
I've used it with great success and I'll be doing so again shortly with my 19.
Of course I need to load up on the champagne as it takes two bottles to do it appropriately.
Good luck.
--Mike

Gil Weiss

Where are you located? We may be available to help with the champagne . . .

CaptK

Quote from: Gil WeissWhere are you located? We may be available to help with the champagne . . .

LOL :mrgreen: What a pal! ;)

sailFar.net

vigsail

We're down in Tuckerton,NJ sailing on Barnegat Bay.
Thin water down in these parts but very pretty.
Come on down -- I'll be sure to bring enough of the bubbly.
--Mike

Gil Weiss

Hi Mike,

Than you for the offer. We are not far away . . .about 60 miles! I am very familiar with the Jersey shore even though we sail at a fresh water lake in PA.

We hauled our boat for the season yesterday. It is sad as we had a great 5+ months sailing. Literally every weekend since about May 9th! I'm cleaning and stowing stuff today in preparation for winter storage.

CaptK

Quote from: Gil WeissWe hauled our boat for the season yesterday..snip....I'm cleaning and stowing stuff today in preparation for winter storage.

BOOOO!!! Man, you need to move south! :mrgreen:

Well, I guess if you aren't sailing, at least you can post about it a lot, and look at pics, etc etc - "websailing" instead of websurfing. :)

sailFar.net

Gil Weiss

Yo Captain . . .Carole and I have considered moving South, but the hurricane issue always comes up. Where we are located here in PA seems to get a variety of weather, but rarely any really severe stuff . . . a good thing.

I also get some time to play with my other toys (radio controlled planes and helicopters) and watch a little football.

We do like warm weather and sailing though . . . so you just might see a silver Ford pick up truck with the two of us and a large green parrot pulling a CP16 pass through Winyah Bay . . .aye boys . . .

steve brown

In reference to re-naming your boat, go to the web site namethatboat.com where there is a two page article entitled 'Boat Renaming'.  :wink: Steve