a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Simrad TP10 repair question

Started by ghsfusioneer, April 22, 2017, 09:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghsfusioneer

Does anyone have a recommendation for getting a Simrad TP10 repaired?  Mine shuts down after about 20 minutes operation and my troubleshooting points to something internal (it's not the fuse, cable or battery).  I will contact Simrad to inquire about availability of repair, but I was wondering if there any others with experience? 

philb Junkie19

If you are going to have your tp10 repaired and it is an older model you may want to check to see if you can get a software update.  This is supposed to make them perform better and use less power. The 22 and 32's can download the update from a Simrad website but a technician needs to open it to upload it on the 10's.  I bought mine in 2001 and just found out about the upgrade that was released about six years ago. A nearby Simrad authorized marine electronics tech said he would contact Simrad on this for me.

ghsfusioneer

Thanks for the thoughts.  I think my TP10 was purchased new in 2014, so it should be up to speed regarding software upgrades.  And, alas, it won't power up at all now.  If I can't find anyone to repair it, it will be placed in Davy Jones' locker.  SC's are fun to hand steer anyway.

ghsfusioneer

To conclude, Simrad has offered to repair/replace my unit for a reasonable fee.  Thanks for the input and response.

rogerschwake

I'm using a Simrad TP10 on board my Sun Cat bought about the same time as yours. I have not had any trouble with my auto pilot at this time. I would be very interested in what the problem is with your TP10 so maybe I could not have the same problem. As of wright now I have had no problems with my TP10 and would very much like yo keep it that way with any luck. Don't use  my auto pilot a lot but when single handing it's that third hand you need now and then.

ROGER

ghsfusioneer

Roger, will do.  I decided to open up the case to look for poor connections, etc.  There were no obvious problems - no kinked or cut wires, no brown spots on the circuit board, no cracked solder joints visible.  But I did replace a blown connector fuse (external to the unit - probably blew during some earlier troubleshooting when the unit tried to overrun the end of travel).  I have to say the unit is well made.  In an effort to check for the possibility of an overheating component, and with the case still open,I let it operate in my workshop for almost an hour.  No problems, nothing overheating - but then I realized it was not under actual load.  So the problem could still be inside the unit - or it could be the SC's wiring to the unit.  When I have more information to share, I'll post another note - could be a few weeks. 

ghsfusioneer

It has been several months since I posted the question about the Simrad TP10.  Since the last post, I've proofed the boat electrical fuse/wiring and replaced the autopilot receptacle.   I then used it for an hour (+/-) at a time.  On one occasion it stopped working again, but it operated with no further problems on the latest cruise.  This would suggest the wiring/power was the problem but the symptoms  when it would stop working just didn't square with that theory.  When it would stop working,  the indicator lights would still be lit and it simply would not respond.  It is apparently working now, but I'm really not sure what was fixed because I opened the unit and did things to the power source over the course of trying to find this gremlin.  I am still wary of the unit so I acquired an old working Autohelm autopilot as a backup unit.  This isn't much help if anyone else is dealing with TP10 reliability issues, but I thought I would report.