a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

My new gas tank hatch cover

Started by brackish, August 23, 2017, 12:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Hopefully it will end the mashed fingers and slipped disks from "unbinding" the OEM cover.  Ready to install after I choose another completely unsatisfactory finish for this and the rest of my teak, currently all cleaned up and awaiting that decision.

I still have to add a couple of brackets for removable gimbaled drink holders and a SS t-nut for the cockpit table to lock to, but that after finishing.  If I don't like it I can always go back, it is completely reversible to the drop in fiberglass cover.

AislinGirlII

Looks really nice. Hinging cover has got to be easier than the OEM one - I had a couple of wasps flying out from under mine, and it was real fun trying to slowly lift it off so I could peek and check under it. Wound up getting stung the second I rattled that cover on the way up.

brackish

Wound up getting stung the second I rattled that cover on the way up.

LOL, Been there done that, one of the reasons for the new hatch.  On the port and starboard hatches if I haven't been to the boat for a while, I'll lift them with the boat hook with a can of spray at the ready, however not possible with the OEM fuel locker cover. 

If I remember to do it regularly and I mean about every four to six months or so, rubbing a dry bar of Irish Spring soap on the underside of the hatch covers seems to keep them away.

Bob23

Glad I'm reading this, thanks guys. I'm highly allergic to wasps but I never remember to check for them. If I get stung, there's a good chance I could turn into a normal, cordial human being!
Actually, death is a possibility. As I tell the Admiral- bring it on! I wouldn't have to go to work anymore. She fails to see the humor!!!

Very nice job, Brack!

brackish

Thanks Bob, and please, keep that Epipen handy we do not need you in any way to approach normalcy.:)

AislinGirlII

Brackish, good tip, thanks. I'll give that a try.

Bob, I was "taking one for the team" as my wife is also highly allergic and I wanted to be sure I found the source after I saw a couple. Mind you this is my wife that asks me every morning if I remembered my meds, my wife the alphabet soup medical professional (PhD,MSN,RN-BC), my wife who NEVER remembers or bothers to get her EpiPen refilled LOL..

Bob23

My doc has told me that as long as the liquid is clear, the Epipen is good despite the expiration date. These things used to be affordable. Not any more.
Brack: No worry. Not planning to become any thing close to normal, ever!