a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Leaking problems with Pic-Nic Cats

Started by Perry, October 08, 2017, 07:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

I really want to buy a 2004 Pic-Nic Cat available from a sport marine dealership, but have read about leakage problems around the centerboard area or the drains in the rear.  Are these widespread issues or individual boat concerns?  I'm a fit 66-year old new to sailing but think a Cat might be easier for me to rig and sail than a Com-PAC 16 or something. Any thoughts? Thanks.

bruce

Is this boat leaking? Most PCs are bone dry. Leaks can happen, but they are the exception. Rarely, to my knowledge, is it the CB pivot. The cockpit drains can be a source, but they can be accessed through the deck plate under the teak seat. The bilge, stringers, and CB trunk are easily accessed through the lockers. Where are you reading about the leakage problems? I moderate the Yahoo Picnic Cat list, which started in 2000, and there have been only a few problems reported there.

Everything you've heard about the Mastendr system is true. I share a ramp with mostly powerboats and I never lose my place in line. Once you're used to the procedure, it takes no longer than rigging dock lines and fenders. Any delay you might experience will probably be from answering questions from onlookers who didn't believe a sailboat could be rigged that quickly!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

PasoSailor

I agree - given the design and construction of the PC, it is hard to imaging an actual "hull" leak. There can be a bit of splash through the pendant hole for the centerboard (but this is common to any centerboard arrangement like the PC and not a "leak" at all). The cockpit drains in my boat are what I think are the original (rubber "flapper" valve). The can allow water to come in if the aft of the boat is low in the water. Mine has plugs for each, but I like the "ping-pong ball" stop valves I've seen on some boats. I'll install them on my boat when I get a minute. As far as standing up the rig, this boats is just AWESOME!!! Easiest mast / rig I've ever had (and I have had --- and still have a BUNCH of boats!). The hinge set-up is just fantastic - LOVE IT! I would really encourage you to get one of these boats. I think that they are roomy, stable and pretty fast for a small boat. I love mine (and I have a CapeCod Bullseye (based on a Herreshoff 12 1/2) which is another fantastic sailor - but a hassle to launch and rig, and just got a Capri 14.2 to do some club racing this winter. Of the boats I've owned, the PC is way up on top of the list - I don't think you'll regret owning one!

bruce

Hopefully the OP has been encouraged and will pursue the '04 he's looking at. Leaks can be hard to find, even harder if its just hypothetical!

I've had the Flo-Max Ball Scuppers for 6 years now. They're made by the same company as the rubber flaps, THMarine, and installation is dead easy because the mounting holes line up perfectly. The ball scuppers do seal the end of the drain while at rest, so they're great when you step in the boat on a mooring or slip. Once you get underway, the balls are sucked off the seals, and if you don't have the drain plugs in (which are original equipment) water will come up the tubes. Not a lot, but enough to get my feet wet. If I'm trimmed properly, the drains are out of the water, but if I go back to the stern, to deal with the OB for example, the drains will be submerged.

Most PC sailors I know sail with the plugs in, unless it's really rough and you need the self-bailing feature. I lined mine with flanged brass tubes, bedded with SikaFlex 291. They slide in perfectly, and the plugs fit better.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--transom-drain-tube-1-x-3--P000355511?pCode=355511&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%2520-%2520Product%2520Type-_-355511&product_id=355511&adpos=1o1&creative=108421551244&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw4KvPBRBeEiwAIqCB-d2lcfaczkgp673MuiyrUHJOlTwxP9PTNP-hpvZ0uSB56iye1j3kjxoC_4MQAvD_BwE
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI