a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer Extension ideas?

Started by Garyandjoanlee, August 18, 2017, 09:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garyandjoanlee

Have been doing a lot of research into figuring out a way to launch by CP16 w/o backing my vehicle into the water. Right now the tailpipes "bubble".  So far I have looked at "extend a hitch", but not keen on adding something under my trailer. The extended receivers sound good but only go 18". Maybe a bit more with a long ball tongue insert. Not  sure 20" will make a difference. I am now looking at removing the trailer hitch, inserting an eight foot 2"x3" rectangular steel tube into the trailer that can extend at the dock- then remounting the hitch on it. (It would pull out at the dock- otherwise stay pushed in for travel. That would be great but I can not find square stock steel that size- closest is 2 1/2 x 1 1/2. Would appreciate any solutions you have found successful.  Warm winds sailors!
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

captronr

I also was planning to encounter some shallow launch ramps, so here's what I did.  I have NOT actually tried it yet, and I am NOT an engineer, so I can't be held accountable if this doesn't work.  I do weld and have access to steel of all sizes.

Here's what I did:
Purchase--
  An 8ft chunk of 2x2 x 1/4" wall beam (really think it's 3/16)
  A female receiver hitch
  A trailer ball coupler that welds/bolts onto a 2x2 beam.

Cut and drill 1/2" holes in like 6" x 2" x 1/2" thick steel strap.  The 1/2" holes are for bolts that will fit outside the trailer box beam.  Using four  1/2" grade 8 bolts, secure the welded assembly under the trailer box beam, near the front of the beam.

Mark and drill holes to bolt the female receiver hitch to one end of the 2x2 beam.  You could weld it on instead.

Mark and drill one hole for a pin that goes through the new receiver assembly on the trailer.

When I try it out, I plan to run a chain from the vehicle to the trailer frame, so if something goes amiss, I can recover the trailer/boat.

I plan to drill and mount another trailer ball somewhere on the frame, and build a bracket for the rear of the box beam, so that it can ride on the trailer when not in use.

I have some pics, but not sure how to load them in the new world.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Beckeresq

I only put this arrangement together at the ramp, and the extra 2 ft. works for me.

One Harbor Freight hitch extension w/o step and one w/step.  Harbor Freight always has 20% of coupons on line.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-extender-with-step-97685.html

Garyandjoanlee

I only put this arrangement together at the ramp, and the extra 2 ft. works for me.

One Harbor Freight hitch extension w/o step and one w/step.  Harbor Freight always has 20% of coupons on line.

Thanks much- love the step part- but you only actually get 16" more distance.
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

Garyandjoanlee

I also was planning to encounter some shallow launch ramps, so here's what I did.  I have NOT actually tried it yet, and I am NOT an engineer, so I can't be held accountable if this doesn't work.  I do weld and have access to steel of all sizes.

Here's what I did:
Purchase--
  An 8ft chunk of 2x2 x 1/4" wall beam (really think it's 3/16)
  A female receiver hitch
  A trailer ball coupler that welds/bolts onto a 2x2 beam.

Cut and drill 1/2" holes in like 6" x 2" x 1/2" thick steel strap.  The 1/2" holes are for bolts that will fit outside the trailer box beam.  Using four  1/2" grade 8 bolts, secure the welded assembly under the trailer box beam, near the front of the beam.

Mark and drill holes to bolt the female receiver hitch to one end of the 2x2 beam.  You could weld it on instead.

Mark and drill one hole for a pin that goes through the new receiver assembly on the trailer.

When I try it out, I plan to run a chain from the vehicle to the trailer frame, so if something goes amiss, I can recover the trailer/boat.

I plan to drill and mount another trailer ball somewhere on the frame, and build a bracket for the rear of the box beam, so that it can ride on the trailer when not in use.

RON-
Thank you!  Watch the size. My trailer frame is 2" x 3". So your 2" x 2" would not quite fit inside my frame. (Same 2" size).  Otherwise, that looks like a good plan and the kind of info I was looking for.
I met with a fabricator yesterday to discuss my plan of having the new 8' extension actually live inside the center of the trailer 2x3 frame and telescope out when needed at the ramp. Your 6" steel straps will be perfect for relocating the sides of female part of the hitch onto the end of the new 8' extension. I will use tractor pins x2 to secure the new extension into the trailer frame and tow like that (collapsed). When I get to the ramp, (ok, a flat part before the ramp!) I will pull the pins - and slowly drive forward about 5 feet or so until a spring pin finds the rear hole in the extension and snaps in place. I will then add the removed tractor pin to another hole near the front of the rig to secure the extension and launch the boat.  Hope this is not TMI - I will do a youtube video when thius is finalized, fabricated tested and tested out but think it is going to be great.
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

captronr

Gary, just to clarify: 

The welded female receiver hitch is bolted outside of the main trailer frame.  The opening of the receiver sits below the existing trailer ball hitch. 

I would have to stop, unhook the trailer, insert and pin the extension into the new receiver assembly, then back up the truck and hook the end of the extension onto the truck ball.  Not as slick as an internal sliding one, but should work ok.

Will post when I try it.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Beckeresq

Not sure my explanation was clear-I actually use two step extensions in combination-one inserted into the other's receiver, then the ball mount hitch. 

Probably could "daisy chain" another one.

fried fish

Boat ramps are a great place for entertainment!

I sail a Compace 23. The only way I could launch her at ramp was by using a chain acting as an extension. The thought of that chain was never comforting as the image of my boat and trailer floating away from shore while watching after chain failure.

I did finally embrace the "Extend a Hitch" I actually purchased the 12' foot extension. I would rather be overkill than underkill. It has been great! Not perfect by any means. It does cost a chunk of change especially with the shipping charges. But, I no longer worry about my shiny Tacoma tailpipe in the water.

Simple is good . Happy sailing,
Capt Fred

spsexton

I use two 18" hitch extenders to launch my CP16. They work great and I longer worry about dunking the tailpipe.
Sean
1988 Com-Pac 16, hull #2562