Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Centerboard issue

Started by Vectordirector, November 05, 2017, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vectordirector

Hi all,

It appears that my centerboard is stuck down.  When we came in on Thursday as I put up the board I heard a clunk and the line went slack.  I assumed it was up as I felt it come up but now it seems that the clunk was the board going back down as we were unable to leave the dock at low tide today with the board stuck in the mud.  I guess we were lucky it was high tide as we made it back in without a problem on Thursday.

I'm sure that when the water went out of the canals prior to Irma, the boat sat on the bottom and got some muck up in the trunk but I'm not sure how that would cause this unless it is just a coincidence.  The boat is 13 years old and probably still has the original centerboard cables. 

I've got a call in to have my diver come take a look but I'm wondering how much of a problem this really is.  I can have her hauled and put on a travel lift but I don't know how to proceed after that.  My trailer is really not available as I have no way to tow it without renting a truck. 

Anyone with experience with these centerboard systems have any advice on how to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Bryan aka
Vectordirector

Thanks

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

If the line is slack it is broken.  13 years is quite a long time for the line.  It really is a simple system.  The line goes through the deck to a hole in the edge of the board.  A bowline is tied around the board and voila the system is complete.  I would guess that you need to buy some line and have it handy for the diver and in less than 20 minutes you will be back in business.  Buy the best you can!  I did this once by diving and tying.  It took me a hell of a long time to get er done.  A diver should make it much easier.  I do not think that you need to have the boat hauled.  Good luck  BTW muck in the centerboard trunk causes the board to get stuck in the up position, which I have had.  A dowel through the line hole and a small hammer allowed it to drop.  Sail On,  Al

Vectordirector

Thanks for the info Al.  I will get in touch with my diver.  The water is starting to clear and I can see the bottom again as the monsoon season ends.  The weather has cooled as well and I am reminded why I live here. 

Any particular line you would recommend?  Size? 

Hurry down before it gets busy!

Bryan
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Hey Bryan.  Did you get the new centerboard line installed?  If yes how did it go?

Vectordirector

Hi Al,

Yep, diver came last week and after digging the board out of the mud he was able to attach a new one. He came at low tide and we had to move the boat about 2 feet forward to get her unstuck.  Took him about 15 minutes because he stirred up the mud and he had to wait for the water to clear so he could see the bottom of the board to tie the new line.  Had a great sail with Arthur on Friday afternoon.  80 degrees, north winds at 10, and partly cloudy.  Few powerboats and a half dozen sailboats.  Doesn't get any better. 

She's clean and ready!  Too windy so far this week.  Hope to get out Friday.

Safe travels!

Bryan

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold