a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Weekend on the Chesapeake

Started by tmw, August 29, 2017, 03:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmw

Last weekend was nice on the Chesapeake, although I'm continually amazed at how short the distance traveled is on the chart compared to how far it feels on the boat.  Winds Saturday were light, and a bit intermittent, while Sunday was a little stronger, hitting speeds of 4.8 knots at one point per GPS!  Four people on the CP-16 feels crowded to me, even if they didn't mind.  When tacking, typically one would lay down flat on the bow section, while the other would move to the cockpit to release/pull the jib lines.

Here is the obligatory picture so we know it was real:

The passengers remarked how they enjoyed the bumpier parts of the ride, out from the protection of our cove, more than the calm waters near the pier.

5monkeys

Wonderful Smiles, glad to see you found time to make it out there.
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Chris D

Looks like fun was had by all! Lots o' smiles! My daughter loves the bow.  What part of the Bay were you sailing?
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

nies

Looks like fun..............noticed the jib sheet inside the stay, have always run mine outside....................nies

tmw

We sail near the mouth of the Choptank river, not far from St. Michaels.  There is a family connection to that area.

I thought I read in the manual that the jib sheet goes inside the stay, and here different opinions.  Do you notice a difference in performance being outside?

Edit:
I went back and looked at the manual, and sure enough, it says to run the sheet outside the stay.  I'll have to update my rigging.  thank you for noticing and pointing this out... just don't tell my admiral.