a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchoring/Stowage questions

Started by captronr, July 21, 2017, 11:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

I am puzzled about how is an effective way to deploy and retrieve the anchor on my Eclipse.  Those few times I needed to quickly deploy the  anchor on my Mac 26X, I simply went forward to the anchor locker, removed the anchor, tossed it over, tied it off, and set it. 

I keep my Eclipse anchor in the starboard seat locker.  It appears to be easy to remove it, toss it overboard, and tie it off to rear cleat.  Not very pretty not having the pointy end of the boat into the wind.........

I don't understand the hardware on the bow:  Anchor roller and bell opening for storage. 

If you have any chain on your anchor, how do you secure the anchor when it's raised?

I would like to figure out a way to deploy the anchor from the cockpit, have the rode going through the bow eye, be able to cleat it off at the aft end, and be able to retrieve the anchor from the cockpit, probably using a snatch block. 

What I don't need is more lines loose in the cockpit.  For any of you that anchor out, how do you manage it?

Thanks,
Ron

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Finbar Beagle

Ron,

I have. Cp19 but should be pretty similar.  I keep a slightly smaller anchor in the cockpit, connected only by line.  My local conditions are mud bottom and max of 25' (even that is a stretch).

This is for emergencies, and I tie to stern cleat.

I have a bigger anchor that I will deploy on the bowsptit roller, if I know I will be anchoring that day.  There is a hole in the anchor shaft that matches up with a hole on the forestay tack.  I slide a pin through to hold the anchor firm.  I do not keep the anchor on at all times because of my slip configuration.  It adds several inches up front...

The chain feeeds into the hawser, the chain is lager enough that it needs to oriented in one way, so it kinda locks, but i do  not trust to.

Regards,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

alsantini

Not sure I fully understand the problem but let me make an attempt.  My anchor rests (unless I am traveling) on the roller.  When the anchor is all the up the bail or tang on the roller assembly gets turned down.  This prevents the anchor from going anywhere.  I have a small piece of line from the anchor to the bow cleat to prevent the end of the anchor moving around during short drives.  The chain and line go down the hawser, if that is the right term.  Setting the anchor is as easy as: turn the bail up and slide the anchor along the roller.  Once the chain is out of the hawser the anchor line will come out of the locker even with the lid closed.  Once it is set tie it off to the bow cleat.  I do have a spare, but smaller anchor in the starboard locker with 75 feet of line just in case.  I guess in an emergency I would set the stern anchor and then go forward to set the bow anchor.