a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Need to replace cracked plexiglass on my front hatch CP19/3

Started by Wayne J, November 29, 2016, 05:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne J

My front hatch is badly cracked and has been glued several times.  I am going to try to find a replacement piece of plexiglass and repair myself.  Any tips/suggestions?

Wayne
CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

deisher6

Hey Wayne:
That pretty much looks like the hatches on our  C-27.  I have replaced the clear part twice, once with plexiglass
and once with glass.  Just took off the hatch a local window repair company (Register's Glass) replaced it.
See:   
C-27 Hatches
Started by deisher6
3 Replies

charlie

Wayne J

CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

deisher6

Wayne J: You are welcome.  Remember to be very careful what you clean the hatches and / or treat the gaskets with.....I was very upset when I etched the new Lexan hatches with the silicon spray. 

The glass has been working out well.

The same folks also fabricated and replaced the port glass(s).  The originals were badly yellowed.  very happy with price and product.

regards charlie

HeaveToo

What is the cost for replacing the hatch glass?  I am curious because mine has a small crack and it is starting to leak a little bit.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

brackish

Not on my 23 but on a boat of the past, a Columbia 8.7 I reglazed the hatch and all the port material.  I used Lexan (polycarbonate) but I'm told that Plexiglass (Acrylic) might be a better choice.  I just bought a sheet of the stuff and made all the pieces.  Works easily with woodworking machinery with which I'm blessed.

deisher6

Hey HeaveToo:
Both hatches cost $167.34 or a mere .18 BU's.
The large port glass cost $35 and the smaller port glass $25 each.
They installed the glass in the frames in their shop.  I removed and replaced the frames on the boat.

Brackish is correct, were I to use Lexan or Plexiglass again, I would cut out the pieces myself.  However the glass should last another 30 years without replacement, barring any errant blocks or winch handles.

regards charlie

Wayne J

HeaveToo:

I found a guy in south florida (cesany plastics on ebay) who used my old lens as a template and created a nice new lens for about $85

Wayne (cheap)
CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

thomeng55

I just replaced a bomar hatch  lens on my 27 last weekend and installing another one this weekend.  Super easy.

I bought a sheet of the same thickness (.25) plexiglass, cut the straight lines with a fine blade rip saw, taped the old lens to over the new lens and used a router to make some beautifully match round edges. Hole saw to cut the latch holes and that all took me about 20 minutes.  I bought new bomar gaskets on line (the most expensive part) and replaced the old weathered gasket with the new one.  THen is used some black silicone caulk (I hate silicone on the boat but it was recommended and worked great) set the lens with weights then pulled off the painted tape for some great clean edges.

A dreaded job that turned out super easy.

If you want I'll take some shots when I do the next one.

Tom

DanF

Tom and others above,

This thread is timely for me-- just discovered the lens of my CP23's Bomar hatch has become unsealed from the frame & is leaking badly. 

In doing the repair job you describe, I'm guessing you left the bottom frame attached to the boat and removed the "lid", to take it home to your shop?  If so, can you describe how you took the lid off? 

On mine it appears the lid is attached to the hinges by 4 screws... thought maybe I could just unscrew those & walk off with the lid, but they are in extremely tight and could not easily get them out.  Alternative seems to be tapping out the big pins in the hinge itself, but that also looks possible challenging. 

Thanks for any advice!

Dan 

deisher6

Hey Dan, press on with the screws.  They were pretty tight on our C-27, the first time that I replaced the glass.  Try using time, some penetrating fluid and avoid stripping the screw heads at all costs.

Best of luck.

regards charlie

thomeng55

Hey DanF

I did mine in place.  After removing the latches,  I sliced the black silicone caulk with a razor and worked the lense out.   I placed a plastic storage tub upside down on the opening and secured with bungies.  No water ingress at all.  Then I cut a new lense using the old one as a template, and replaced.

I didnt get to the second one yet.  Had a pretty severe heart attack so on Light Duty now waiting for the next couple surgeries.  As soon as I get it done though, I'll take some more pics.

Tom
SV TomCat
CP 23. CP27