Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Horizon Cat porthole replacement source

Started by Dela329, June 28, 2017, 08:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dela329

All
I just picked up an 03 HC and noticed one of the porthole brackets is broken.  And and because it doesn't seal tight heavy rain finds its way in.  Anyone know where I can get a replacement?  I'm hoping I can just get the interior part, but if not I'll just have to buy an entire unit.
Thanks!

DanM

This sounds like what happened on my SunCat. The porthole is latched down with a spinner that swings up on a pin which is captured by two plastic lugs molded into the interior frame. When I told the previous owner that one of these had failed, he was so upset that he ordered a new porthole assembly for me from Com-Pac (about $200.) I really didn't want to get involved in tearing out the whole porthole, so I devised my own shop-made fixture to replace the broken ones (I'm about to do this on a third latch that just failed).
  For each broken assembly, I made two hardwood blocks (I had some scraps of ipe). 1-1/4" wide X 3/4" high X 3/8" deep.) I cut a new pin (I think it's 1/8" diameter) from a SS knitting needle, about 1"+ long. The matching faces of the blocks are drilled to accept the pin. The front face of each block is drilled and countersunk for SS #8 X 1/3" flathead or oval head SM screws. The biggest pain is sawing off the old broken lugs and filing the frame flat. In making the blocks, make sure you allow clearance for all the movements of the spinner.
  These work great, and to my eye, don't look bad because they are an honest, clean repair. Gerry at Com-Pac recently saw a picture of this and called it a "very innovative way to approach this problem" and pointed out that I will at least not have to worry about them breaking again. He said he's seen this happen occasionally but it isn't common. Don't know why this happened- the obvious answer is over-tightening the spinner, but I don't think I do.
  A picture is worth a thousand words, but I have yet to figure out how to post images from my Mac to this forum. If I did it right you should be able to see an image on Dropbox using this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9b4zia8hbdi5u4/DSCN1741.JPG?dl=0
   Good luck however you deal with it. Dan

deisher6

Hey DanM...let me see if I can help out there.  Well OK that worked out!
regards charlie