a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

anchoring in the North Channel

Started by Duckie, May 21, 2017, 07:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckie

I'm signed up for a cruise in the north channel this July and among other concerns I am wondering what the anchoring is like there.  The pics I have seen of the area lead me to assume that the bottom is smooth glacial granite.  I am taking my 16 and don't want to knock off bits of the keel on that bottom, so I will need to anchor out a bit from shore.  If my concerns turn out to be correct, does anyone have any suggestions about how to go about securing a 16 in an area like that.  I have a Rocna anchor, but I doubt it will hold in rock.

Al

Tom L.

Cruising the North Channel is arguably the most beautiful cruising ground in North America. We cruised for three months there and never had an issue with anchoring. The key is to join The Great Lakes Cruising Club and get the guides that they have collected. They consist of large loose leaf binders that cover each lake. Government Charts from the area are not very good as some are very old and they don't mark all the rocks. The G L cruising guide is very detailed usually hand written notes from the membership. They cover nearly every possible anchorage and detail safe passage through the rock strewn area.
We used a Delta anchor and never had an issue. The bottom is normally mud that has settled in the bays and makes for good holding. Some bays especially near, Detroit passage, have dead heads which are nerve wracking but harmless as long as you proceed slow.
Be careful if you navigate by following the crowd some bays are very tricky to enter. You may see several boats anchored in a bay and think there's a good anchorage, but how they got in there is sometimes tricky.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Duckie

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I like to cruise in areas of the Canadian Shield and have found that anchoring can be problematic.  I will look into the GL club and see if I can get some of their charts. 

I am a little embarrassed, but I think I am going to have to haul an inflatable dinghy behind my 16 foot yacht.  I am taking along crew, which I never do, so I need to accommodate him.   The prospectus for the cruise is that all the crews will get together to eat a meal each day, so I will have to leave the boat at least once a day.  It just seems that bigger boats haul dinghies around and I am having trouble getting use to the idea.  Does anyone have a preference in regards to inflatables under $100?

Al

brackish

I have a Sevylor Fish Hunter 260 which I paid around $60 for in 2011.  Not sure that model still exists, but it is their 3 person model.  I bought it because it was the toughest, non fabric reinforced unit I could find back then based on material gage.  It was also light enough for me to handle and would fit in the forward forepeak compartment easily.  I think it is 8' long.  Here is a youtube review of the 250 which I think is the same size. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO_HDa-zC84

A post where I talk about it.  For info, I never used the trolling motor, found I could row it to meet my needs.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3544.msg24599#msg24599

A pic of it behind my 23 for size reference.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/radiobiz/5815487684/in/album-72157626797489447/lightbox/

philb Junkie19

I got that 3 person fish hunter some years back after reading your description, inflated once but never used it with my former 16. Dug it out this spring with plans to finally stow onboard the 19 . I don't use the V berth and leave the cushions out for storage space. I also like the idea of towing it but have wondered about the strength of the tow point(s)  and whether it would blow around. Obviously this works for you.  Any tips for towing?

brackish

Quote from: philb Junkie19 on May 21, 2017, 10:34:24 PM
I got that 3 person fish hunter some years back after reading your description, inflated once but never used it with my former 16. Dug it out this spring with plans to finally stow onboard the 19 . I don't use the V berth and leave the cushions out for storage space. I also like the idea of towing it but have wondered about the strength of the tow point(s)  and whether it would blow around. Obviously this works for you.  Any tips for towing?

Hasn't been out of its storage compartment in the forepeak for several years.  I'm on a lake with water so deep that I can nose my 23 right to the bank and still have 8' of water at the stern, so haven't needed it.  I never had any issues towing it, seems like it towed easily and did not take on water or blow around. 

Rahn

I have been on the Trailer Sailor's North Channel Cruise for many years and have had few problems anchoring. You should not have a problem with your Rocna anchor. I presently have a Manson supreme with 30 feet of chain that I use with my Seaward 23. I used a claw anchor for years with both my previous Suncat and Horizon Cat with good results. I also have a claw and a bruce with rode which I sometimes put out as needed. Lines to tie to shore are also a necessity, especially if you plan to cruise with the group.

You will definitely want some sort of dinghy. I tow a Hobie inflatable kayak.

Duckie

I put in an order for an intex challenger set for the princely sum of $32 and free shipping.  I plan to blow it up and tow it behind my 16 for the whole trip.  If I trash it while on the cruise, I won't feel too bad.  If it holds up and I can bring it home, it will be docked on my new pond in the back yard.  Don't laugh.  I intend to sail my canoe in it this summer after all the dozer work is done and the water warms up.  That ought to be a real rodeo if the wind is sporting.  Oh yeah, there will be an actual dock floating on it too for drinking and such.

Al