Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replacing motor mount

Started by traveler, February 16, 2017, 08:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traveler

Hello,

I need to replace the wood on my com-pac 16's motor mount.  Is marine plywood the only way to go or are there any other options?  One of the sailors in my neighborhood says he actually cut a think plastic cutting board and it's worked well.  I like the idea of non-wood but not sure about a cutting board. 

If I use marine plywood, does it have to be treated at all? 

Thanks

brackish

The stock mount on my 23 has some type of polymer material, not sure what it is.  Probably acetal, HDPE or UHMW.  You can usually find small pieces that would be appropriate for a motor mount on ebay.  I would suggest UHMW if you have standard woodworking stuff to cut it with.  Be careful about chip removal when cutting with a table saw it will bind up the innards in a hurry.

Marine plywood, depending on the type gets that designation as a result of specifications that limit voids in the laminations, surface imperfections, and because it has a waterproof glue used to laminate.  That does not make it impervious to water unprotected.  If used, it should be sealed with epoxy then coated with the UV resistant coating of your choice.

Jeff S

Com-Pac yachts home page has a link at the bottom the page for "Parts List"  They have the following for the CP16

Part # RA00M0132  Poly Board for Motor Bracket   $45.90 each.

I don't know what you were expecting to pay but you can have confidence that you are getting the right thing when it comes from Com-Pac.

traveler

Thanks Jeff. That might be perfect. From what I've seen, marine plywood isn't cheap, plus the time to construct it.

Yamaha33410

Quote from: traveler on February 18, 2017, 08:46:20 AM
Thanks Jeff. That might be perfect. From what I've seen, marine plywood isn't cheap, plus the time to construct it.
That line made me chuckle...

Sometimes I think about refurbishing or fabricating a fix, when in reality the part isn't THAT much to purchase new. Then you also have to factor in the time to perform all the labor to produce or refurbish something... I've spent hours and probably 50+ bucks to refinish my tiller handle, and in the end it is still a piece from 1981... I could have spent a little more and bolted on a new one and have been done with it in 2 minutes... I spent A LOT of time sanding it... few nights worth just in sanding, think of all the $andpaper those hours of sanding consumed haha... sure it looks much better then it did, but its not like a new one...
1981 Compac 16

-West Palm Beach, FL

traveler

Absolutely correct.  Ordered a new one from Com-Pac, it showed up in a few days, and was on in about 10 minutes.