Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

midship cleat on genoa track

Started by sclendenin, March 17, 2017, 03:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sclendenin

Hello Everyone,

We are in the process of purchasing a 1995 Compac 27/2. We haven't gotten it home yet but wanted to ask if anyone had any experience or thoughts on adding a mid-ship cleat to the Genoa track.
Garhauer sells one  - https://www.garhauerstore.com/track-blocks-accessories/midship-cleats.html
We have found this midship indespensible for single handed docking on previous boats.It seems easier to have a moveable cleat than to drill some holes and mount a cleat permanently.
Appreciate any thoughts. Does anyone know of the top of their head if the existing track is 1" or 1 1/4"?

bobp

My 1990 27-2 has a track 1 inch wide. Your right they come in handy at times.
Congratulations on your purchase they are nice boats.

Robert

SteveA

Mid ship cleats were the very first thing I added to my boat and is a must for single handed landings.  I wouldn't  sail without them.  The ones I found are stainless and at the time were about $86 I think.  I love the boat...

Steve

wes

This might be a good time to mention that the factory attachment of the genoa tracks isn't very robust, given the high loads that can occur. In the process of painting my deck I removed the tracks and noticed there was gelcoat cracking at nearly every bolt hole. There were no backing plates under the deck, just small washers t each nut. I pulled off the headliner and installed long strips of 1/2" wide aluminum as backing plates. It was a royal pain but I sleep better now.

I have no idea how the load of a cleated dock line compares to genoa sheeting loads. However even in the reinforced state I wouldn't rely on a genoa track cleat to secure the boat in a strong storm.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

relamb

A prior owner has added midship cleats to my boat, they are bolted through the deck with a backing plate, and I definitely  use them.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

sclendenin

Thanks to All for the information.
I will inspect the underside of the genoa track and probably reinforce.
I'm planning to primarily use it for the docking maneuver and I'm not sure I'd sleep well using it as the spring line anchor for overnight.
The adjust ability of the track mounted cleat may just allow me to pinpoint the best point for a then permanent through deck cleat down the road.
Great group.

redfishnc

I have them on my 1993 27' since new and am not ready to give them up, indispensable IMO.  I use them on try previous Catalina 30 and purchased them before we left the dock they first time.  Handy.  May check to see what backing is on the later boats.  Less than a $100.