a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cabin Table

Started by deisher6, March 23, 2017, 05:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

We have never liked the design of the early C-27 cabin tables. 

On our first C-27 we needed the whole table for our family of five.  I modified that table by trimming off the edges, finishing them with a two inch piece of cherry and adding .5 inch fiddles on the outer edges.  On that table I also added a hook to keep the legs closed and from flopping, also a line to suspend / support the forward starboard corner.

Since I usually sail solo and have had stuff slide off the table even in moderate seas; this table is shorter, a little lower, lighter and prettier than the original.  I would have made it even shorter, even with the first shelf in the bulkhead unit, but then the leg would have been longer than the table.  It is made out of 1.5 X 3 inch teak with a .5 inch starboard insert.  Will probably put some pictures on the bottom side of the table, they will be exposed when the table is stowed.

regards charlie

wes

Nice. Two questions:

1. Are you satisfied with the bulkhead shelf unit? Mine is on the bench for refinishing and it would be an excellent time to modify if you have suggestions.

2. Did you make that chart/magazine rack below the table? Or was it factory? I don't have one of those. Assume it is attached to the bulkhead. Not sure I could make it work since I have the fold-out double bed that rests on a cleat about 15" above the floor.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

deisher6

Hey Wes:
Recall that the bottom of your bulkhead unit was split because of the table being lowered accidentally without the leg down or the leg slipping.  I would take this opportunity to reinforce that.  I am not a big fan of the bulkhead unit and am thinking of making the cup holes in the bottom shelf larger.  I have yet to find an appropriate size glass.  There are some pictures of a modification that looks more like a cocktail table.  That could be supported, nicely from the wall with an angled support. That may be the C-27 with the C-35 like swivel chairs on the starboard side.

The chart rack is off the shelf.  Installed by a PO.  It probably will not work with the pull out rack. Though it may be close, if it was mounted much higher it would be difficult to get stuff in and out of it.

The fold down table on the C-35 is a fine piece of furniture..........?

regards charlie