a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast rake

Started by CurtTampa, March 17, 2017, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtTampa

After replacing all standing rigging and furler with a selden 206 I've noticed some slop in the head stay. The aft lowers are slack as well after at strong year of sailing. the problem is there is no turns left on the backstay to tension out the forestay. Both rear turn buckles only have a 1/4 turn before they bottom out. Sighting up the mast there is a very, very slight forward bend foreward. Not good. Called the rigger who did the install and he asked what the rake of the mast is. I assume there is a design rake number for the rig. Cant seem to find it - any ideas?

wes

You could drop the mast and tighten the forestry turnbuckles inside the furler. That's where I would start.

Check out Keith Scott's web site, www.sailboatrichlands.com. He is one of the most experienced Com-Pac tweakers around. I believe he recommends mast straight up and down on the 27, or raked forward if you can achieve it, but definitely not raked aft.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

CurtTampa

Thanks. That is a great resource. The engineer at Seldon/Furlex told me a mast (any mast) should never have the front edge of the top of the mast in front of the forward surface of the mast below. Added it was a recipe for rig failure. Im not sure what to think now. I can appreciate the statement the mast is short...and with non swept back spreaders maybe its supposed to be just a straight stick. Would like to get Bob Johnson's input.