a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cutlass Bearing Housing Bolt Corrosion

Started by dcoggin, July 13, 2011, 08:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcoggin

We're the new owners of a Com-Pac 27.  The boat was shipped from NJ, so we've got it out of the water now and going through several things getting it ready for sailing.  One of the things we've been doing is changing out the stuffing box for a PSS dripless shaft seal.  After reading here that others had seen corrosion in the Cutlass bearing housing attachment bolts, I decided to go ahead and remove them to check.  As others have seen, there was substantial corrosion.  If you have a chance, I'd recommend checking yours and attaching a zinc or a grounding wire to the engine.  Our boat is a 1994 and spent half the year hauled out in NJ.  I tried to post pictures, but was unable.  I'd like to know how if someone can tell me how.

David

rdcvsmith

Welcome David

Most folks here (including myself) keep a Photobucket account (it's free) for such purposes as easily posting pictures here at CPYOA.

After you upload some of your pics there, each pic will have their own links. Tap or click the IMAGE link [IMG], for most browsers it will copy automatically (if not, do a control - C copy thingy), then just paste into your post or reply.

Get a pic or two up at photobucket and Practice some in the "test" area. If you still can't get it, someone here will fill in some detail that you or I missed.

Congratulations on your new(to you) CP27! I have a 19 so I don't deal with any through hull stuff,but I'm always reading about it for the day that might.

Ray

bmiller

Welcome David. Where are you sailing the 27?
As a former 27 owner I like to hear tales of sailing my favorite boat.

skip1930

" I tried to post pictures, but was unable.  I'd like to know how if someone can tell me how.

David "

1~Join up with Photobucket, free. Then Scan and download to Photobucket [many other such site available as well]
2~Under each picture are a list of codes...
3~For Com Pac Yacht Owners Association site click on 'DIRECT CODE'. You see the word 'copied' appear and then fade out.
As a back up I always go up to edit and click on 'Copy' as well.

4~Then back in the 'post reply' box anywhere where your typing the text of the message, look above at the header and find this line...B  I  U  S  ect...
Look at the next line down. You see a red pinwheel thingy to the left and next to the right a -->  'yellow beach, black line of trees and blue sky'  <-- icon. Click on that.
Where ever the cursor is when that is clicked you'll see {IMG}  {IMG} ...paste the direct code between the two IMG's. Aim carefully, that is where you'll put the cursor and RIGHT click and then click again on the word 'PASTE" to put the direct code between the cursor. If spot on the code will appear between the IMG's.

Hit post and the picture will show up. If not then you were not between the IMG's or the Direct Code did not copy-paste. You can always click modify the message and try again.

skip.

peterg

Hey, congrats on buying that '94 CP27. I've seen that boat many times and she is a pretty vessel. My '90 CP27 lived on the hard next to yours for quite a while over in Barnegat. Where are you sailing?  Good luck and use her in good health!!
Peter G
Beagle II
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

dcoggin

Thanks for the help with photobucket.  Here's my first try:

Not too exciting for a first picture, but maybe it will give you an idea of what might be going on down there on your boats.  I bought the boat with a partner, and we'll be keeping it on the St Johns River just south of Jacksonville, FL.  We're looking forward to getting it in the water and sailing!

David

redfishnc

I am thinking of changing props so a lunch haul will have to include checking these bolts and their grounding.  Do you happen to know which prop you have?

jimyoung

The same bolts on Miss B. were in the same condition last time I had her apart, and I really think (in my case anyway) is because the stainless tube that encases the prop shaft does not have one of the green grounding wires attached anywhere after the stuffing box.  When I changed out the the old iron Genny last year I was sure to tie in a ground wire to the tube..... won't know for a few years if that worked but cant harm.

Capt'n Jim

Jma1_nemo

I know this is an old thread, but can anyone provide details on how to bond these bolts? I saw an earlier thread that mentioned something about using a hose clamp to attach a green wire, to something, but it was not very clear what actually needed to be done or how to do it. Sorry for my ignorance. Must the cutlass bearing housing be removed to accomplish this or ?. It sounds like all CP27s will be susceptible to this damage unless steps have been taken by the owner. As a new owner, I doubt this mod has been done on my boat, and if the mod can be done without removing the cutlass bearing I would sure like to be proactive and do something before going back in the water in the spring. Thanx in Advance.

deisher6

Two years ago I pulled the shaft tube and replaced the cutlass bearing on Windrunner, '86 C-27.  I am pretty sure that it was the first time that the cutlass bearing had been replaced.  The prop tube was not bonded.  There was no noticeable corrosion on any of the parts; bolts, tube, shaft and prop.  I did not try to bond the prop tube when I assembled it.  I have seen C-27's that were bonded as well as those what were not.

I would be more worried about the cutlass bearing.

Just my two cents worth....

regards charlie