a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Main Sheet setup?

Started by Dogboy, October 17, 2016, 03:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogboy

I sail in the midwest on an inland lake.  Winds shift direction and speeds constantly.  I'm curious how others have their mainsheet rigged.

When I purchased the boat, there was a double block with a becket on the traveler.  The boom had three single blocks, and the sheet was rigged back to the mast then along the deck through a rope clutch.  I found this to be troublesome with the need to sheet in or out on a regular basis.

I had a triple block with becket and cleat in my parts bin, so I threw that on the traveler and re-rigged it that way.  I find it works much better in the shifting winds, but I need to have the companionway hatch in the open position so I can get the downward angle for the sheet to escape the jam-cleats.  This is fine on my little lake, but won't work if I'm sailing in conditions where I'd like to keep everything closed up.

How do you do it?  I'm interested in alternatives.  I sail single-handed on a boat full of people most often.  I get occasional "help" but mostly I'm on my own.  Advice appreciated.
1990 23/3D - my fathers boat - Sold
2010 Sunday Cat - Sold
2008 Compac 25 - Sold
Current: Hobie 16 & Hobie TI -
Looking for a Horizon Cat or HDC

Salty19

I am not familiar with the CP25 mainsheet rigging at all, but have seen some folks comment that they have reversed the cam cleat direction on other boats.  Instead of pulling down to cleat, you might be able to reverse the cleat itself and pull up. I supposed the only way to tell for sure is to take a good look at it.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

deisher6

Hey Dogboy:
C-27's came with at least two styles of mainsheets:  Older ones have a 4 part tackle to a traveler on the bridge deck just aft of the cabin hatch.  Newer ones had a set up much as you describe with a traveler on the cabin top infant of the cabin hatch.  Our '86 has the former.  I too sail solo most of the time and really like the set up.  However, when sailing close hauled I am wishing that I had more purchase....my grip is not what it once was.  I may eventually switch to a larger diameter line.  Then there is the additional drag?

Hope that this helps some.

regards charlie